Big Nouveau Driver Update For Linux 6.2 To Improve Open-Source NVIDIA Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post

Compile, mokutil, you just lost 80% of the audience.

But nothing of those things has anything to do with your original point.
    Your original post sounded like you accused the "NIH fanatics in the linux comunity" (your words and spelling errors, not mine) for being the ones blocking your SecureBoot by having the nvidia module tainting the kernel.
    Which has nothing to do with each other at all.

And all your remarks up until now just goes to show that you have *NO IDEA* what you are talking about, and only want to bash someone, and do not even want to know what goes wrong so you at least blame the correct persons/systems and for the right reason.

SecureBoot *REQUIRES* all parts of the boot-chain and the kernel to be signed by *keys* marked as trusted (not all modules needs the same key as the kernel, just that the module needs to be signed and the key enrolled into the boot-chain as trusted).
    The same is true for windows. You cannot load a driver into windows that is not signed by Microsoft unless you disable SecureBoot.

And all Out Of Tree drivers *DO* need to be re-compiled to match the current installed kernel ABI.
    Your system probably do that automatically with the help of akmods and dkms when you yum install/apt-get install them and on every kernel upgrade after that.

Yes, enrolling a key for akmods/dkms recompilations of Out Of Tree kernel modules is a bit circumstantial.
    And when it comes to Fedora, this is the current instructions on how to enroll a key and make akmods automatically sign modules it has built with it are maybe not the lightest read, but it is pretty easy:

This is new since Fedora36, so that is why your google-fu might not show it for you. But I have only had to set it up once per computer that needs it and have not had any reason touching it since then.

But it is your choice to buy or use anything that requires an Out Of Tree driver, and as such it is you who have chosen these problems.

And If you do not even want to try understand these basic things, then please just shut up. You have nothing to offer except gravely wrong comments and baseless accusations based in just ignorance.

Comment

Hahaha that one had to be coming in a nvidia driver thread
      But the binary blobs (which actually has nothing to do with the article) are still garbage.
      The nouveau-drivers the article is about are garbage for everything port GTX 900, very much thanks to nvidia and their crappy support in releasing things like documentations and signed firmwares.

Me myself have currently two computers I daily drive which requires the binary blob.
      The desktop running a rtx 2070 super has with the latest binary release started to display black menus for some application from time to time. And most of the time creates stack trace from the nvidia kernel module when the kernel tries to suspend the computer, so my computer essentially cannot currently suspend.
      It is better then some releases ago that just failed to initiate my displays.
      With the Fedora35 live USB using nouveau I cannot even get a picture on my displays.

The company provided Dell Precision 7560 laptop bolsters a T1200 nvidia GPU. Which is a computer you can get from Dell pre-installed with Ubuntu. And has a HDMI-port that does not work without the binary blob (when connected the HDMI-port displays a static image, and then starts to generate loads of heat until shutdown/reboot no matter if suspended or not). And with the binary blob the HDMI-port works, but the computer gets hot as hell, and sometimes even when I suspend the computer the GPU still generates heat. Often with a trace in dmesg from the nvidia kernel module.
      The "nice" thing about this is that it still allows the kernel to suspend the rest of the computer.
      So what I am left with is a computer that has suspended everything included fan-control. But not a heat-generating GPU. Which can get unsafely hot. No matter what level of nvidia-(un)supported driver I am using.

So yeah, I call the nvidia drivers garbage.
      My old Intel based work laptop had no problem at all. My current HTPC based on an AMD APU does not have any issues either, nor did my former HTPC based on a Intel CPU + AMD GPU, and was replaced due to size issues in new apartment more then problems with the system itself.
      So yeah, it starts to smell more and more like my next GPU might not be an nvidia, and when it is time for a new work laptop I will strongly suggest something else then one with any traces of an nvidia gpu within.

Comment

Originally posted by Xake View Post

But it is your choice to buy or use anything that requires an Out Of Tree driver, and as such it is you who have chosen these problems.

And If you do not even want to try understand these basic things, then please just shut up. You have nothing to offer except gravely wrong comments and baseless accusations based in just ignorance.
        I did not realy make any accusations.

They can´t cause of the unifided code architecture everything thats in the linux driver binaries is also in the windows drivers and that small linux module is just the wrapper for the linux kernel.

Thats what i wrote the secure boot thing was just a rant, and the way you attack me cause english is not my native language, shows what you think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Xake View Post

But the binary blobs (which actually has nothing to do with the article) are still garbage.
          Turbine asked :

I wish they could ditch licensing for drivers and just merge or have their own variants based on the same codebase as the nvidia one.

I answerd this with the unified code base, it´s simply impossible the nvidia driver does not follow any linux code standard it´s windows based.

and yes i understand the frustration this causes i´m affected because i own an nvidia card, i wish there was a out of the box solution .......

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
            This is awesome news! It may be a "grand dream" but maybe some day the Nouveau driver will reach something close to the Nvidia driver for general performance. The Nvidia driver will always likely be required, especially for CUDA workloads, but its nice to see some traction in Nouveau after all these years.
            Death to CUDA. Rusticl ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
              I wish they could ditch licensing for drivers and just merge or have their own variants based on the same codebase as the nvidia one.
              People should just give up pouring more money on this piece of shit hardware. The leather jacket guy won't be supporting Linux any time soon. Just buy any other GPU instead.

Comment

Nvidia to FOSS community: Suck a fat one and bend over, going in dry!

FOSS; yes master Jensen.

AMD; Why do you insist in accepting that kind of abuse?

FOSS; Shut up Meg!

Comment

A real-world free market example:

Nvidia was not willing to substantially contribute until they got hammered by serious competition of AMD and Intel.

Comment

and the NIH fanatics in the linux comunity will never accept any nvidia code ~~,
                    The kernel has lots of Nvidia code, after all they have the full stack for their small mobile GPUs in the kernel, based on nouveau. And do not forget their work on supporting their ARM CPUs and the other stuff they make. The only thing where they do not play nicely is consumer and enterprise GPUs.

Comment

Working...
                    X