No announcement yet.

Big Nouveau Driver Update For Linux 6.2 To Improve Open-Source NVIDIA Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Nouveau Driver Update For Linux 6.2 To Improve Open-Source NVIDIA Support

Phoronix: Big Nouveau Driver Update For Linux 6.2 To Improve Open-Source NVIDIA Support

It's been a long time since there has been much in the way of notable Nouveau DRM driver changes merged to the Linux kernel for improving the open-source NVIDIA graphics support. Fortunately, that is changing with Linux 6.2 set to receive a rather big update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is awesome news! It may be a "grand dream" but maybe some day the Nouveau driver will reach something close to the Nvidia driver for general performance. The Nvidia driver will always likely be required, especially for CUDA workloads, but its nice to see some traction in Nouveau after all these years.

Comment

I wish they could ditch licensing for drivers and just merge or have their own variants based on the same codebase as the nvidia one.

Comment

Only 80 percent to go before we have a working Mesa driver for Nvidia! At this rate they might be a serious alternative to AMD/Intel by 2027 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
          I wish they could ditch licensing for drivers and just merge or have their own variants based on the same codebase as the nvidia one.
          They can´t cause of the unifided code architecture everything thats in the linux driver binaries is also in the windows drivers and that small linux module is just the wrapper for the linux kernel.

So nope not gonna happen.

Edit: and the NIH fanatics in the linux comunity will never accept any nvidia code ~~, i just expierienced the oddyseey to fedora 37 deaktivate your secure boot to load a unsinged kernel module

Not to mention that is complete bullshit just because you want to load a kernel module you have to deactivate secure boot cause of the tainted state the nvidia module causes.
          Last edited by erniv2; 08 November 2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post

They can´t cause of the unifided code architecture everything thats in the linux driver binaries is also in the windows drivers and that small linux module is just the wrapper for the linux kernel.

So nope not gonna happen.

Edit: and the NIH fanatics in the linux comunity will never accept any nvidia code ~~, i just expierienced the oddyseey to fedora 37 deaktivate your secure boot to load a unsinged kernel module

Not to mention that is complete bullshit just because you want to load a kernel module you have to deactivate secure boot cause of the tainted state the nvidia module causes.

So run mokutil --disable-verification and it's easy to run secure boot with NVIDIA.

Comment

It is not the proprietary taint that causes that. And what you describe has nothing to do with the module being from nvidia.
              Every module you load needs to be signed by a key marked as trusted by the SecureBoot-chain. The difference is that the modules compiled along the kernel by your distribution was signed along with said kernel. Out-Of-Tree modules are not as easy to automatically sign as they often needs to be recompiled on your system as they are not released and compiled along the kernel.

I am running Fedora which has a handy script that makes it possible for akmods to sign the Out Of Tree modules it compiles with a key marked as trusted with mokutil.
              No problem with SecureBoot and nvidia after the initial setup for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Xake View Post

It is not the proprietary taint that causes that. And what you describe has nothing to do with the module being from nvidia.
                Every module you load needs to be signed by a key marked as trusted by the SecureBoot-chain. The difference is that the modules compiled along the kernel by your distribution was signed along with said kernel. Out-Of-Tree modules are not as easy to automatically sign as they often needs to be recompiled on your system as they are not released and compiled along the kernel.

I am running Fedora which has a handy script that makes it possible for akmods to sign the Out Of Tree modules it compiles with a key marked as trusted with mokutil.
                No problem with SecureBoot and nvidia after the initial setup for me.
                Compile, mokutil, you just lost 80% of the audience.

Ok i know how to compile my own kernel, havent done it in ages tho, but i dont know about signing modules, yes i´m so dumb ~~.

So what does the dumb user do google-fu, and the most recommend practice is deactivate secure boot and use the fedora installer to download a known working driver set.

Comment

So what does the dumb user do google-fu, and the most recommend practice is deactivate secure boot and use the fedora installer to download a known working driver set.
                  no, the most recommended practice is to use a GPU with a proper driver instead of Nvidia's garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

no, the most recommended practice is to use a GPU with a proper driver instead of Nvidia's garbage.
                    Hahaha that one had to be coming in a nvidia driver thread

Comment

Working...
                    X