Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source NVIDIA Outlook Brighter Due To GSP Firmware, But Major Challenges Remain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Yeah except that servers largely don't care about these changes at all since this is specific to Linux desktop. Servers only care about CUDA and related technologies.
    I thought a big part of the reason for them making an open source kernel module was so server users running GPU compute didn't have to use third party kernel modules that taint the kernel. Could be wrong, of course.

Comment

AMD: we are working hard in making our hardware work the FOSS way.

FOSS community: AMD who?

Nvidia: we dont care about FOSS way and keep bending over for us.

FOSS community: yes master Jensen….

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
        AMD: we are working hard in making our hardware work the FOSS way.

FOSS community: AMD who?

Nvidia: we dont care about FOSS way and keep bending over for us.

FOSS community: yes master Jensen….
        when AMD quits burning us then sure, meanwhile polaris doesn't have hevc amf support, rocm is effectively unsupported for it now, AMD only recently added RT to amdvlk (after how long?) missing RT extensions in both amdvlk and radv make wlroots vk backend fail and no mpv libplacebo vulkan zerocopy, there was that stupid hybrid vp9 support (it was better then nothing but they killed that too). the rx 590 was released in 2018.

sure nvidia and intel have their issues too, perhaps for a lot of people, big ones to many people. but for me, buying AMD is like lining up to get my nads kicked in

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post

I thought a big part of the reason for them making an open source kernel module was so server users running GPU compute didn't have to use third party kernel modules that taint the kernel. Could be wrong, of course.
          This does help that but at the same time its not exactly a pressing issue.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

The difference here is the burden of support. A Driver in the kernel is "supported" by kernel developers, while an out of tree driver isnt.
            By the same extension you could say it is burden of kernel to support firmware. There isn't good solution for it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              So that unstable ABI thing is the "with an exception" part of NVIDIA's typical open-source moves ("open-source with an exception")...
              stable firmware ABI ... you know this will never be the case ... !!!

the open source driver developers will spend years on this nvidia opensource driver just to discover that firmware breaks their abi and it is all a waste of time
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                this is very exciting, some cheat rtx 2060s are around, and I have been very tempted to pick one up. intel dgpu playing with it for a bit has been neat, but the growing pains are strong (still cannot get vaapi to work) on the A380 after messing with it for a few days. it certainly shows potential though, it's sitting in my second gpu slot while me and a friend try to get vaapi working on it. but it will be nice to have good foss support from nvidia. even if unofficial
                man i told you not to buy the intel gpu,,, they are a long time away from any usefull driver status.

there is a benchmark out who proof my vega64 is 52% fastet than a intel arc a770... what a joke...

also you desire for the RTX 2060 is also irrational i know you hate the amd situation because they officially dropped the 480/580 in ROCm/HIIP

but if you want opensource drivers nvidia is years away from any usefull driver status.

better buy a used vega64 or a 6600 and you will have good opensource driver support..

Comment

when AMD quits burning us then sure, meanwhile polaris doesn't have hevc amf support, rocm is effectively unsupported for it now, AMD only recently added RT to amdvlk (after how long?) missing RT extensions in both amdvlk and radv make wlroots vk backend fail and no mpv libplacebo vulkan zerocopy, there was that stupid hybrid vp9 support (it was better then nothing but they killed that too). the rx 590 was released in 2018.
                  sure nvidia and intel have their issues too, perhaps for a lot of people, big ones to many people. but for me, buying AMD is like lining up to get my nads kicked in
                  just one time think in the eyes of amd... RX480 was a cheap gamer product if they support it longer than 5 years they lose money because they did earn less on these cards than the long-time support costs.

only nvidia gets enough money in the sales to support it longer. and amd can not lose money only because people like you dislike it.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

just one time think in the eyes of amd... .
                    no. ill think in the eyes of someone who spent years buying their shit in comparison products.

Comment

no. ill think in the eyes of someone who spent years buying their shit in comparison products.
                      you do not life in this "reality" because a company who does spend more on support on a hardware than the company earns from the selling of the hardware plain and simple goes bankrupt.

means the alternative to drop the support of the old hardware is not what you like and want you want longer support time but thats not a realistic alternative the only alternative in this reality is to go bankrupt.

in your dreamworld longer support time is a possibility but thats an impossibility.

you need to earn more money for the hardware thats the only way to make longer support time possible and the only company who is able to get more money for the same performance and hardware is nvidia.

you think amd has the possibility to support the hardware longer thats wrong amd only has the possibility of go bankrupt or drop the support.

Comment

Working...
                      X