Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver "NVK" Sees Uptick In Activity This Week

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver "NVK" Sees Uptick In Activity This Week

    Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver "NVK" Sees Uptick In Activity This Week

    The open-source NVIDIA Vulkan driver "NVK" being developed for Mesa has seen a busy week of new development activity on this work-in-progress solution...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/NVK-NV...lkan-Busy-Week

  • #2
    Does that mean that released source by nvidia can't help with reclocking issue?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      Does that mean that released source by nvidia can't help with reclocking issue?
      I think it can, but it actually needs to be implemented. And all that only for newest get Ampere cards, which still have no support for any GPU acceleration. So they had no incentive to actually implement it.
      If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

      I hope NVK can get off the ground, but I really don't see it getting anywhere close to the official driver without backing from some big player. Because first they have to do all of it from scratch, and second Nvidia gives way less data than AMD does. RADV developers can look at LLVM changes and work from there, Nvidia doesn't have something like that.

      Comment


      • #4
        So AFAIU, NVK developers can't simply target Nvidia's new open kernel driver?
        I heard Nvidia will try to gradually upstream its kernel driver, but one of the requirements for a new DRM kernel driver is to have Mesa drivers that can work with it.

        Comment


        • #5
          The only big player I could see contributing development resources to this would be Valve if they decide to release SteamOS 3 to the broader public. Being able to convert “nearly any” PC made from 2013 onward into a “Steam PC” would be super cool and having open drivers would be a win for them in this regard.

          Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post

          I think it can, but it actually needs to be implemented. And all that only for newest get Ampere cards, which still have no support for any GPU acceleration. So they had no incentive to actually implement it.
          If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

          I hope NVK can get off the ground, but I really don't see it getting anywhere close to the official driver without backing from some big player. Because first they have to do all of it from scratch, and second Nvidia gives way less data than AMD does. RADV developers can look at LLVM changes and work from there, Nvidia doesn't have something like that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by user1 View Post
            So AFAIU, NVK developers can't simply target Nvidia's new open kernel driver?
            I heard Nvidia will try to gradually upstream its kernel driver, but one of the requirements for a new DRM kernel driver is to have Mesa drivers that can work with it.
            That was one of the arguments, yeah. But the problem was Nvidia themselves isn't willing to upstream it right now, and it would need a rewrite before it can be merged.
            Nvidia would need to change their stance for it to get merged, which I would love to see honestly!

            Comment


            • #7
              You need firmware for reclocking. Don't think Nvidia allows redistribution of that yet.

              Comment


              • #8
                Eventually it will be interesting to see NVK + Zink on nouveau when it is ready to accept the newer firmware.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have a 760GTX kicking around, it'd be good if I could use it for some low level 3d stuff. The reality is that aside from Ray Tracing I haven't needed a crazy high end 3D card for years. Most open source games struggle to push a lot of detail anyway.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X