NVIDIA Ampere GA103 Support For Nouveau Being Sent In For Linux 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Ampere GA103 Support For Nouveau Being Sent In For Linux 6.0

Phoronix: NVIDIA Ampere GA103 Support For Nouveau Being Sent In For Linux 6.0

As part of today's "drm-misc-fixes" pull request, NVIDIA Ampere GA103 GPU support is set to be added to the Nouveau DRM driver with Linux 6.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Activity picked up again after a few weeks of inactivity, good to see progress here. Hoping to one day soon uninstall the proprietary driver from my system

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/nouve...its/nouveau/vk

Activity picked up again after a few weeks of inactivity, good to see progress here. Hoping to one day soon uninstall the proprietary driver from my system
      yeah, we mostly waiting on Nvidia to release the 3D headers, so we can use them directly.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

yeah, we mostly waiting on Nvidia to release the 3D headers, so we can use them directly.
        BTW are there any plans for Vulkan on 400 series cards? My understanding was that the hardware should be able to support Vulkan but Nvidia just never supported it in the driver.

Comment

BTW are there any plans for Vulkan on 400 series cards? My understanding was that the hardware should be able to support Vulkan but Nvidia just never supported it in the driver.
          maybe. We'll kind of starting with Turing and will move backwards. Despite that, most of the code is already written with older generations in mind, so it might not be terrible to support. It's just a matter of Fermi supporting all the features or if that requires heavy cheating/emulation of stuff.

But supporting fermi also would allow to ditch the nvc0 gallium driver and use zink until we get something reliable/modern/better going... but I guess this will take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

maybe. We'll kind of starting with Turing and will move backwards. Despite that, most of the code is already written with older generations in mind, so it might not be terrible to support. It's just a matter of Fermi supporting all the features or if that requires heavy cheating/emulation of stuff.

But supporting fermi also would allow to ditch the nvc0 gallium driver and use zink until we get something reliable/modern/better going... but I guess this will take some time.
            Is nvc0 really in that bad shape?

Comment

Is nvc0 really in that bad shape?
              well.. no, but zink is atm even closing the gap to radeonsi and we don't have enough people working on nouveau to even get a decent driver. So the idea is: focus only on vulkan and let's zink do its magic.

Comment

Working...
              X