Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Driver Refactors Some Display Code For Linux 5.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow

Yes, do it your own fucking self. Like the poseur "open-source community" loves to boast about how they can do anything if the source code is made available. Just like AMD has completely zero obligation to make ROCm available outside of Windows, Red Hat and Ubuntu. You want ROCm on XXX distribution? You want the Nvidia open kernel driver to be integrated with Nouveau? Do it your own fucking self, PAY AMD or Nvidia to do it, or STFU and get lost.

Can't do it, can you. Need the likes of Nvidia to do your work for you. Oh boo hoo. Proves that the "open-source community" are more incompetent than the macOS and Windows users. Almost everything in FOSS outside of the Linux kernel is completely and utterly third-rate compared to their proprietary counterparts, especially in drivers and end-user software.
    Why are you here? Your comments provided no useful contributions, merely vitriolic rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow
      You want ROCm on XXX distribution? You want the Nvidia open kernel driver to be integrated with Nouveau? Do it your own fucking self, PAY AMD or Nvidia to do it, or STFU and get lost.
      I mean, presumably they are paying for drivers when they buy the hardware. You can argue that they just have to deal with whatever the vendor wants to provide, but I think it's a lot more valid to complain about that when you are actually paying for the product than when people do it for open source software that's fully done by volunteers for a free product.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        If it does not crash of course.
        It does crash and has issues, I have used it extensively with older GPU's before giving up.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

nvidia actually released that signed firmware as part of their open driver and we are planning on using that.
          Yes, but my understand is that it isn't for anything pre-turing. Those cards still have no PMU firmware, going back to when nvidia first started signing it.

EDIT: Sorry, Ampere. The 3000 series.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Yes, but my understand is that it isn't for anything pre-turing. Those cards still have no PMU firmware, going back to when nvidia first started signing it.

EDIT: Sorry, Ampere. The 3000 series.
            It actually supports Turing as well.

2nd gen Maxwell (although we can reclock those, just not change the speed of fans), Pascal and Volta are out of scope. One could investigate what's up with Pascal and if there is something we could do, but afaik we can't even change the voltage there. One possibility could be to reverse engineer one fixed version and have extraction scripts for those gens, but that's super painful.

Comment

Working...
            X