No announcement yet.

Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Driver Refactors Some Display Code For Linux 5.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Driver Refactors Some Display Code For Linux 5.20

Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Driver Refactors Some Display Code For Linux 5.20

While AMD and Intel are busy with big graphics driver changes for each new version of the Linux kernel, the open-source NVIDIA "Novueau" kernel driver that is largely just worked on by Red Hat employees is just stumbling along. NVIDIA in May announced they are transitioning to an open-source kernel driver approach, but that current kernel driver is not in shape for upstreaming and due to the heavy use of the GPU System Processor (GSP) that source release hasn't been a huge help yet for the reverse-engineered Nouveau driver. With the upcoming Linux 5.20, Nouveau has some display patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia deceives even if releasing a pseudo open source driver for their GPUs, it's amazing.

No efforts into merging Nouveau efforts with their module and merging to upstream Linux kernel? How sad, their bureaucracy is even more insane and outdated than their proprietary "IP protection" policies.

Comment

Nouveau is the Internet Explorer of GPU drivers. It's the best driver to download the official NV driver with.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        It's the best driver to download the official NV driver with.
        If it does not crash of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow
          Linuxfags again out with their double standards.

They demanded an open source driver. Nvidia provided them with an open source driver. Now they demand that Nvidia integrate Nouveau into the open source driver and be mainlined.

Go do it yourselves or STFU. The driver is open source and out there.
          You have been reported, troll. You don't only use homophobe 4chan terminology, you have no clue. I'm disgusted by your language and I'm not going to shut up about it nor STFU

Nvidia did a half baked code drop of a semi open source driver, it's not so open.

Do it ourselves? Does AMD or Intel does that or put resources into driver development along with thousands of hardware companies?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Nvidia deceives even if releasing a pseudo open source driver for their GPUs, it's amazing.

No efforts into merging Nouveau efforts with their module and merging to upstream Linux kernel? How sad, their bureaucracy is even more insane and outdated than their proprietary "IP protection" policies.
            • NVIDIA has had its own development workflow for over two decades and it worked perfectly so far.
            • The Linux kernel features quite a questionable development model where kernel releases mean/coincide with new [kernel] drivers[/modules] releases.
            • This ultimately means you cannot easily run a specific kernel version with a specific driver which is however perfectly possible with proprietary NVIDIA drivers.
            Now, tell me honestly which development model do you prefer. I've been talking for years about how drivers must be decoupled from the kernel however no one is interested. The net result is that thousands people complain that their HW malfunctions with distro X and then they discover a rolling/updated fast distro Y (e.g. Fedora or Arch) and say that distro X (say Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) sucks. I've seen hundreds of such cases.

You could say, why doesn't everyone simply run the latest stable kernel (5.18.14 at the moment) - well, because very few people test it and with new features (and supported devices) come new regressions. You cannot have both: stability and new drivers. No one gives a fuck.

Comment

I have to agree that the dropped "open source" NVIDIA driver, "Here, we've open sourced something, see?", is just bad. No proper power management yet, no proper display support, tons of missing features, only Ampere and Turing cards are supported and it requires a ~30MB blob/firmware file to function. NVIDIA has so much secrecy about its GPUs it's just sad. If anything happened to the company, we'd be left with hundreds of millions pieces of hardware junk no one can understand/reverse engineer.

Still, it's a first step, let's hope better brighter things are in the pipeline. Maybe the blob which manages NVIDIA cards will eventually become a lot smaller. Maybe the company will disclose what exactly it does - it seems to contain a whole closed source RISC(?) OS inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow
                Linuxfags again out with their double standards.

They demanded an open source driver. Nvidia provided them with an open source driver. Now they demand that Nvidia integrate Nouveau into the open source driver and be mainlined.

Go do it yourselves or STFU. The driver is open source and out there.
                Nah, I better stay away from team green. Maybe try team blue.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  You have been reported, troll. You don't only use homophobe 4chan terminology, you have no clue. I'm disgusted by your language and I'm not going to shut up about it nor STFU
                  Thanks for standing up to this bully.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie
                    Bully? I've not noticed anyone like that. The word you took personally doesn't apply to me. Does it apply to you? Well, sorry for that.
                    Nobody talked to you and even less people (well, if less than 0 can be possible) are interested in your mating behavior (if there even is such a thing in your case, which I dare to doubt).

Comment

Working...
                    X