Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Driver Sees Few Changes For Linux 5.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post

I found my 8400GS(rev2) worked suprisingly well with nouveau for desktop use, light gaming, and VDPAU accel.
    Isn't that card 7 years older than the GTX 750 though? There were multiple iterations of Fermi and Kepler between that card and something like the GTX 750.

Comment

I use a GTX 780 Ti on a Trisquel system using Nouveau. For those wondering gaming can be possible if you're ok with lowest settings at 1080P. I've benchmarked a few out of curiousity. Super Tux Kart for instance runs at 70-90 FPS on lowest. Tomb Raider 2013 gets 18-32 FPS on lowest; Grid Autosport gets 73-140 FPS on lowest; Red Eclipse 2.0 gets around 40 FPS on lowest; 2D games and visual novels are fine. I would love Vulkan support not just to play Windows games but also to be able to play newer FOSS games like Veloren which is Vulkan only.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
        Isn't that card 7 years older than the GTX 750 though? There were multiple iterations of Fermi and Kepler between that card and something like the GTX 750.
        That's my point. Don't just assume nouveau sucks on pre-Maxwell cards.

Oh, and Nvidia, release the Maxwell/Pascal firmware FFS. You've already released the Ampere firmware. What's the holdup?

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
          I use a GTX 780 Ti on a Trisquel system using Nouveau. For those wondering gaming can be possible if you're ok with lowest settings at 1080P. I've benchmarked a few out of curiousity. Super Tux Kart for instance runs at 70-90 FPS on lowest. Tomb Raider 2013 gets 18-32 FPS on lowest; Grid Autosport gets 73-140 FPS on lowest; Red Eclipse 2.0 gets around 40 FPS on lowest; 2D games and visual novels are fine. I would love Vulkan support not just to play Windows games but also to be able to play newer FOSS games like Veloren which is Vulkan only.
          I'm assuming your card is not completely utilized. I saw some old Windows benchmarks showing ~70 FPS on Tomb Raider 2013 with 4x anti-aliasing. Still, it doesn't sound that bad considering the card is 10 years old and that your system probably (Trisquel) completely open/free.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Oh, and Nvidia, release the Maxwell/Pascal firmware FFS. You've already released the Ampere firmware. What's the holdup?
            They only released for Turing and Ampere, not going to happen to earlier cards: https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...ules/issues/19

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

It's just two guys doing it anyways, in the best case scenario it'll just be a driver just to show to Torvalds and say "see NVIDIA kernel driver is used by an open source one!' so that NVIDIA doesn't have to do any of the hard work.

Plan is likely for Nouveau to use NVIDIA's kernel driver so it can be upstreamed and then NVIDIA can keep their own userspace driver closed source.
              if the kernel driver is open source, what would stop open source userspace? at least, i'm assuming userspace is just what mesa / radv is to amd. does nvidia have more "kernel" stuff locked away in userspace?

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                if the kernel driver is open source, what would stop open source userspace? at least, i'm assuming userspace is just what mesa / radv is to amd. does nvidia have more "kernel" stuff locked away in userspace?
                Everything that makes NVIDIA valuable is in userspace. Think CUDA, optix, DLSS and OpenGL.

Comment

That's my point. Don't just assume nouveau sucks on pre-Maxwell cards.

They will never release it on anything earlier than ampere. Ampere has a special on-card processor. They moved most of their closed-source driver into the firmware to run on this processor. It doesn't exist on earlier cards.

Comment

Working...
                  X