Red Hat Experimenting With "NVK" Nouveau Open-Source Vulkan Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

yes, that's what the GSP firmware allows us to do, just need to wire it up (it's being worked on)
    I'm guessing that GSP firmware will enable Nouveau to do proper clock and power management only for Turing and newer and situation won't change for Maxwell, Pascal and Volta?

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

I'm guessing that GSP firmware will enable Nouveau to do proper clock and power management only for Turing and newer and situation won't change for Maxwell, Pascal and Volta?
      that's sadly correct.

Comment

Probably in order for something for occur for older Nvidia card generations, you would need either Nvidia to release distributable firmware (unlikely), or someone to use the signing exploit on the Falcon processor to make custom reclocking firmware for it (possible).

But Nouveau maintainers refuse to accept contributions from the Switch homebrew community, who have done a lot of work on bypassing the Nvidia signing mechanisms, so take that as you will.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
          It's a shame it's not supported. As it ages, Nvidia is surely abandoning it.
          Well, wasn't that to be expected? That's the way of hardware with no oss support. And that's why I prefer the other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

that's sadly correct.
            I though so. Anyway it's a good thing that at least recent and future Nvidia cards will be able to have usable open source driver. Thank you for answer and for your and rest of developers work.

Originally posted by uyjulian View Post

Probably in order for something for occur for older Nvidia card generations, you would need either Nvidia to release distributable firmware (unlikely), or someone to use the signing exploit on the Falcon processor to make custom reclocking firmware for it (possible).

But Nouveau maintainers refuse to accept contributions from the Switch homebrew community, who have done a lot of work on bypassing the Nvidia signing mechanisms, so take that as you will.
            Nouveau developers want to stay legal for good reasons. Yeah, it sucks to leave perfectly usable cards in unusable state but I guess there is no other possibility.

Comment

LOL not having a clue about anything but saying nonsense like this

Comment

Nouveau developers want to stay legal for good reasons. Yeah, it sucks to leave perfectly usable cards in unusable state but I guess there is no other possibility.
                Nouveau is used in commercial products even. And just sharing signing keys or whatever is available is a legal risk especially companies are not willing to get involved in, so worst case Nouveau gets disabled everywhere by default, because of such legal risks.

Comment

Why did they start only now to develop vulkan driver? 600 series has been for years with us.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                    Why did they start only now to develop vulkan driver? 600 series has been for years with us.
                    with the current kernel interfaces vulkan isn't really possible. And even Vulkan on 600 series GPUs is a bit of a pain. Sure there could have been some work, but it wouldn't been very useful overall.

Comment

You forget one very important piece - what Switch community did is likely not working in nouveau case.

1st Tons of Tegra (unlike geforce) is already open source with all the bits.

2nd. There is Tegra development board extremly similar to switch in architecture (Jetson TX1). From perspective of Nouveau, if any work homebrew community did there, it is similar to what Nouveau does in relation to recent open source Nvidia Turing/Ampere driver - you have already stuff you need in open source way).

3rd. I seriously doubt there is bypass to load unsigned firmware. Because there is tons of scams around that were modifing firmware loading it and selling (on wish for example) GTX 650 as 1050 by modyfing bits in it. Since nvidia introduced that system there is not a single firmware modding tool or ways to make your let's say gtx1060 pretend to be gtx1080ti.

Comment

Working...
                      X