X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• karolherbst
    replied
    Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

I'm guessing that GSP firmware will enable Nouveau to do proper clock and power management only for Turing and newer and situation won't change for Maxwell, Pascal and Volta?
    that's sadly correct.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

yes, that's what the GSP firmware allows us to do, just need to wire it up (it's being worked on)
    I'm guessing that GSP firmware will enable Nouveau to do proper clock and power management only for Turing and newer and situation won't change for Maxwell, Pascal and Volta?

Leave a comment:

• illwieckz
    replied
    Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    We gamers need GTX 1060 open source support. It's the bestest, most used graphic card by real customer ever. It's a shame it's not supported. As it ages, Nvidia is surely abandoning it. And community can't do anything about it unless Nvidia step up releasing the source.
    Which GTX 1060? There are 7 products named this way that were released in 2016, 2017, and 2018 (and now you'll see how the GTX 1060 tops the Steam Survey).
    Well, they are close enough for a single driver to handle them all, but I always find this fun when people talks about “the” GTX 1060 as if it was one product, GTX 1060 is not a product name, it's the name of a range of products.

Some GTX1060 have different GPU anyway (GP104 or GP106), they're close but even Nvidia does not name them the same. In the past they did that with the 8400 GS who seen three variants (with chip variants G86, G98, GT218) even games have to ship workarounds that are specific to this or that chip that is not the same despite the name.

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    We gamers need GTX 1060 open source support. It's the bestest, most used graphic card by real customer ever. It's a shame it's not supported. As it ages, Nvidia is surely abandoning it. And community can't do anything about it unless Nvidia step up releasing the source.
    Nobody needs the source code. People need signed firmware that allows reclocking.

Leave a comment:

• karolherbst
    replied
    Originally posted by hvis View Post
    Now that Nvidia has released that open kernel module, did that at least open new avenues for the Nouveau project? I.e. being able to interact with newer GPUs (with reclocking, etc) without waiting for additional handouts from Nvidia?
    yes, that's what the GSP firmware allows us to do, just need to wire it up (it's being worked on)

Leave a comment:

• hvis
    replied
    Now that Nvidia has released that open kernel module, did that at least open new avenues for the Nouveau project? I.e. being able to interact with newer GPUs (with reclocking, etc) without waiting for additional handouts from Nvidia?

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied

Leave a comment:

• karolherbst
    replied
    Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Isn't the nvidia open driver the best candidate for eventual development into an upstream turing-and-later driver?
    one might say yes, but after looking at the code, everybody will say no. It would need a lot of effort to put it into shape. Nvidia even mentions it that there are no plans to get it upstream.

If there will be a new driver, or if Nouveau gets enough interest so we get enough people working on it to be stable, that's something we'll have to see.

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
    Michael

another thing: "With time this NVK driver will likely be adapted to support the open-source NVIDIA kernel driver as an alternative to the Nouveau DRM driver." the answer to this is: no, it won't.

At least I am not interested. If others think it makes sense from a debugging/development perspective and submit patches we might consider it, but it doesn't make sense to maintain a code path supporting a driver, which won't get upstream.
    Isn't the nvidia open driver the best candidate for eventual development into an upstream turing-and-later driver?

Leave a comment:

• karolherbst
    replied
    Michael

another thing: "With time this NVK driver will likely be adapted to support the open-source NVIDIA kernel driver as an alternative to the Nouveau DRM driver." the answer to this is: no, it won't.

At least I am not interested. If others think it makes sense from a debugging/development perspective and submit patches we might consider it, but it doesn't make sense to maintain a code path supporting a driver, which won't get upstream.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X