No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 515.48.07 Linux Driver Released As Stable With Open Kernel Driver Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 515.48.07 Linux Driver Released As Stable With Open Kernel Driver Option

Phoronix: NVIDIA 515.48.07 Linux Driver Released As Stable With Open Kernel Driver Option

Following the NVIDIA R515 Linux driver beta from earlier this month that was published alongside NVIDIA's open kernel driver announcement, today the NVIDIA 515.48.07 Linux driver has been released as the first R515 stable release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just a heads-up, there's this bug if you're running 5.18: https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...les/issues/256
    The workaround is in there and a promising patch, too, but it's not fixed yet.

Also, idk about the "first R515 stable release", I've been running 515.43.04 for a while.

Comment

Unlike the previous 515, now I can use Gamescope! Gamescope allows FSR for any app (wine without patches or a native Linux game).
      Though if I press Gamescope's or i3's hot key to make Gamescope's window full or non-full screen (Win+f), then the game freezes forever, and the screen freezes 2 times for 15 secs (nothing in dmesg). So instead of that hotkey, I have to either add -b -f (so that the window is fullscreen from the beginning), or press Win+Shift+space to make the window floating, which also makes it of the right size.
      Code:
      gamescope -w 1280 -h 720 -r 75 -W 1920 -H 1080 -U --fsr-sharpness 8 -- wine \
      ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Battle.net/Battle.net\ Launcher.exe
      75 means 75 Hz or 75 FPS. By the way, Gamescope has a hotkey to change FSR sharpness (see gamescope --help), but make sure it doesn't conflict with WM's hotkeys.

obs-vkcapture can be used with
      Code:
      QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland(or wayland-egl) OBS_EGL=1 obs
      launched in Wayland.
      I launch a game with `obs-vkcapture ./game` in i3 WM, but I launch OBS in Weston in i3 WM.
      The icon for "Game capture" in OBS should be a gamepad, then the correct window in the PLUGIN's own settings should be chosen.
      I use Arch Linux [testing], 5.17.10-259-tkg-pds, GTX 1660 Super.

Comment

Does the open kernel driver support HDMI2.1? or is that still locked away in the closed driver?

Having huge regrets with my AMD card since my screen is a HDMI2.1 dependent one. (there were no displayport screens that suited my requirements)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Having huge regrets with my AMD card since my screen is a HDMI2.1 dependent one. (there were no displayport screens that suited my requirements)
          Out of curiousity, what were those requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Does the open kernel driver support HDMI2.1? or is that still locked away in the closed driver?

Only the kernel modules are open for the time being and even those are only available for Turing or Ampere (you'd need one for HDMI 2.1 anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Out of curiousity, what were those requirements?
              Mostly I want RGB444, 120hz needs to work along with VRR. After you tick all those boxes it punches well above 21Gbps which people are probably use to.

Will have to see what happens down the line.

I was considering getting a RTX4080 in the future so perhaps that will be my best bet.
              Honestly moving from my 1080TI to the 6800XT has not been a smooth transition, basically traded one set of issues with a whole new set of issues! lmao
              I do like open-source however; but I really need display formats to JUST WORK out of the box and not have to fight to get them working. (like how they all just work under windows)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Just a heads-up, there's this bug if you're running 5.18: https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...les/issues/256
                The workaround is in there and a promising patch, too, but it's not fixed yet.

Also, idk about the "first R515 stable release", I've been running 515.43.04 for a while.
                Yup, I've been on 515.43.04 since at least 2022/05/16 since that's the Tumbleweed snapshot this system is on.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  That's a beta driver.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    That's a beta driver.
                    You, sir, are correct.

Comment

Working...
                    X