Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Begins Shifting Around Code For Use By New Driver - Vulkan And/Or New Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Begins Shifting Around Code For Use By New Driver - Vulkan And/Or New Driver

Phoronix: Nouveau Begins Shifting Around Code For Use By New Driver - Vulkan And/Or New Driver

While the just talked about Nouveau beginning to land GeForce RTX 30 "Ampere" open-source support is exciting, as mentioned there still are hurdles to overcome for having good open-source NVIDIA driver performance on modern GPUs. So equally exciting news is that Nouveau has begun adapting some of their code into a standalone library so it can be used in the future by other new driver(s)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they come up with a new driver, I beg them to name it which is easier to spell than Nouveau.

Comment

what about nuvo?

Comment

what about novideo?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          If they come up with a new driver, I beg them to name it which is easier to spell than Nouveau.
          Easier for whom? Plüschkätzchen would be easy for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            Easier for whom? Plüschkätzchen would be easy for me.
            NvidiasOpenGLTreiber and NvidiasVulkanTreiber would be easier and are way more descriptive.

Comment

I didn't do too bad during french class when I was in school, and I still can't spell it every now and then xD, never looks right even when I do get it

Comment

I suggest Nouvelle as a name which is just the feminine of Nouveau (yep, adjectives have a gender in French ) and this is also a name.

Or… Nouveauté, which is the name made out of the Nouveau adjective (which is also feminine because in French something new is always feminine anyway , like a Renouveau is always masculine ).

Because there is already Nouveau and Vieux (and there has been Renouveau), there can be Nouveauté. Let's welcome Nouveauté!

Comment

Why not just call it gforce or NVGPU (intentionally not spelled as geforce)?
                  • AMD cards have a radeon or amdgpu driver
                  • Intel cards have i### drivers
                  • Nvidia cards could have a gforce or nvgpu driver.
                  Bonus points for NVGPU since it can stand for both NouVeauGPU or NVidia GPU.

Comment

NvidiasOpenGLTreiber and NvidiasVulkanTreiber would be easier and are way more descriptive.
                    But its not Nvidias driver its the community driver "Gemeinschaftstreiber OpenGL für Nvidiagrafikkarten", maybe nouveau ain't that bad after all.

You can easily put "How to Pronounce Nouveau" in google and would know the answer in 15 seconds.
                    And how to pronounce anv or radv? Seems to be harder for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X