Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Gamescope Compositor Merges NVIDIA Image Scaling Support

Phoronix: Valve's Gamescope Compositor Merges NVIDIA Image Scaling Support

Valve's Vulkan-powered Gamescope Wayland compositor has merged support for NVIDIA Image Scaling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Valve's Gamescope Compositor Merges NVIDIA Image Scaling Support

Valve's Vulkan-powered Gamescope Wayland compositor has merged support for NVIDIA Image Scaling...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...NVIDIA-Scaling
    thanks Nvidia and Valve, maybe Nvidia is planning Geforce Now on Steam OS like system

Comment

I am confused why gamescope adds both FSR and NIS. I would say having both is unnecessery bloat as both do same thing with same degree of success (only advantage is that NIS makes sharpening and upscalling in single step so performance for NIS is slighty better).

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
        I am confused why gamescope adds both FSR and NIS. I would say having both is unnecessery bloat as both do same thing with same degree of success (only advantage is that NIS makes sharpening and upscalling in single step so performance for NIS is slighty better).
        Well, simply "Why not? The more features and abilities that Linux gaming gains, the better it'll be for all of us." Now we'll have two upscaling options instead of one which gives us more options in regards to in-game performance tuning and AA choices since some AA options and upscaling techniques result in blurry games.

Even in your post you basically ask "Why are they adding in something that could be slightly better?" and, frankly, "Could be slightly better" is a good enough reason for me. "Could help work around blurry AA" is an even better reason. "We're Linux so we get all the choices" is the best reason.

Comment

I think that's because drivers on Windows have global scaling settings for games that don't support it, like AMD VSR. I am using Wine with AMD FSR patches for quite a long time, since I can't use Gamescope because of Novideo.

Comment

Two options is better than one and I can't wait for a third one once FSR 2.0 source code gets released!
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Funny that they updated the documentation for NIS scaling but still have the wrong documentation with integer scaling. "-n" does not enable integer scaling. "-i" does. See https://github.com/Plagman/gamescope/pull/450

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Two options is better than one and I can't wait for a third one once FSR 2.0 source code gets released!
              You can't add FSR 2.0 at that level. This needs to be added to the game engine. FSR 1.0 and NIS are "just" image sharpeners while FSR 2.0 is an anti-aliasing technology that needs to be placed earlier in the game engines rendering pipeline.
              Last edited by -MacNuke-; 18 May 2022, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Impossible. FSR 2.0 requires same type of integration as DLSS (you need to have direct access to 3d screen with depth of field, color buffers and motion vectors. It is impossible to do it globally.

Comment

I am confused why gamescope adds both FSR and NIS.
                  My two cents: Probably good will intention to be collaborative with Nvidia so they can better justify to themselves to contribute more to FOSS.
                  Lanczos scaled game images just make my eyes bleed with 1440p 27" display and I've read a lot of comments since FSR 1.0 and NIS/RSR that lots of people would never ever use this with their stationary PC or even notebook display...

Ok, but this is about GameScope and there is the Steam Deck -> different case.

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post

thanks Nvidia and Valve, maybe Nvidia is planning Geforce Now on Steam OS like system
                    I mean I doubt it, but if they did they might finally upgrade the nvidia driver feature support and GUI on linux, thing's so far behind windows it's not even funny.

Never heard of gamescope though, but i have been hoping for something like it sincel ike 2012.

Comment

Working...
                    X