The Initial Performance Of NVIDIA's R515 Open-Source Linux GPU Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
    Will this open driver work with Nvidia Jetson Nano? My guess is no because it has maxwell gpu
    Selfishly I was really hoping the new driver would cover back to Maxwell. Cheap but still excellent used Haswell / Broadwell (LGA 2011-v3) workstations are very easy to find with decent Maxwell GPUs. A M2000 is only a bit slower than my old Radeon 7870 GHz Edition, has double the VRAM at 4GB, and can do 4x 4k60 while being a single slot bus powered card. AMD wasn't as competitive back then, and it's probably a > 20:1 ratio to find Quadros in these systems vs. FirePros.

Comment

a alpha driver at almost same level of the stable one, nvidia was working in this for many time no doubt about that

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        I wonder if performance of open part could be better if built with something like
        Code:
        -march=native -O3
        Which compiler/linker is used?

Maybe LTO or PGO can additionally squeeze out even more performance!?

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
          I wonder if performance of open part could be better if built with something like
          Code:
          -march=native -O3
          -march=native restricts binary portability (since it enables all the feature sets supported by your current CPU). This means it shouldn't be used for binaries that you intend to distribute to others, or they will fail to run.

That said, since the open driver only supports Turing and newer GPUs, it's fair to assume that you could mandate SSE 4.2 and AVX1 support on the CPU. While technically possible, it's unlikely that you'll be pairing a recent GPU with a very old CPU. Unfortunately, low-end Celerons and Pentiums don't always have AVX1 support enabled (let alone AVX2).

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
            the open driver could maaaybe even outperform the proprietary one...
            Hopefully NVIDIA won't regret doing this when that happens...

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              -march=native restricts binary portability (since it enables all the feature sets supported by your current CPU). This means it shouldn't be used for binaries that you intend to distribute to others, or they will fail to run.
              I think for tests that does not matter. Maybe add two results - generic one and native. And NVIDIA may use dynamic CPU feature detection in their binary blob making it to be faster.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I fail to see why they would not celebrate instead. I mean, besides the advantages of it being open, they get to offload a significant amount of driver development and their products become more competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

They can just take those optimisation and put them back into the propietary one (license allows this, unless someone forks the driver).

Well, now you can have stable and open, that's pretty much a first when it comes to GPU drivers.

Comment

Well.. it seems that this is a poison pill?

So NVIDIA "released" their kernel driver as open source. By which they mean, they moved most of it to firmware and made the open source driver call into it. There are almost 900 functions implemented in the 34MB firmware, give or take, from what I can see. Broadcom vibes...

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
                      Really cool that nvidia is moving in the right direction. Unfortunately I have 10-series cards that now sit in the awkward spot between nouveau and this new driver. For my desktop I guess I can upgrade in a few years time when it becomes a problem. For my laptop though...
                      The list of supported cards includes the 10-series cards (https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...x/187826/en-us) even down to the 700 series cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X