Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Graphics Driver Surpassing 4 Million Lines Of Code In Linux 5.19, NVIDIA Opens Up At 1 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackshard
    replied
    If the policy "no opensource userland = no mainlining for kernel driver" is still valid, that kernel driver won't ever be merged into mainline.
    And the userland part won't be opensourced, as stated by NVIDIA FAQs, I guess this is just some help for nouveau guys.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Sounds like they moved more of the driver blob into the hardware... so the driver probably still isn't even close to being as ideal as AMD's which mostly is either documented all the way down to the GPU ISA or is itself documentation of that as well as the surrounding control hardware. It seems Nvidia's probably only documents the CU ISA + moves all the control stuff into a blob that the driver talks to.

Leave a comment:

• Leinad
    replied
    Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
    Was any approximate kernel version given for when this code is expected to be merged? I'm guessing 5.20 is optimistic so will probably miss out on the next GPU launches. Maybe in time for 5000 series?
    I'm guessing 6.20 is optimistic. Just look how long it took to AMD and theirs initial driver was fully prepared on AMD side to be merged. No "alpha graphics support", "unstable kernel api" and no "missing open source user space part".

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Was any approximate kernel version given for when this code is expected to be merged? I'm guessing 5.20 is optimistic so will probably miss out on the next GPU launches. Maybe in time for 5000 series?
    It would be very surprising if it's mainlined even this year at all.... The API/ABI isn't yet stable, no Mesa clients using the kernel driver yet, etc.... Lots of work ahead. At least a few kernel cycles before it would likely be stable enough for mainline.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by er888kh View Post
    Fuck me. I just assumed it wouldn't be there yet. Even better. Cool

Leave a comment:

• er888kh
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    *It's already in the testing repository

Leave a comment:

• DanT
    replied
    It would be more informative to present the number of C lines not counting the headers.
    Not sure I am reading it correctly, but it is 476k for AMD and 742k for NVidia?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Not the same, but it's in the AUR already

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Can't wait to see what happens on the user-space side; Mesa, Wayland compositors, etc...if the NVIDIA ecosystem will become just as simple and nice as an AMD or Intel GPU system.

Leave a comment:

• ResponseWriter
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X