NVIDIA Transitioning To Official, Open-Source Linux GPU Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Linux on the desktop is still below 2% just like it was 30 years ago.
    Don't lie.

Windows is below 75%. Mac is just above 15%. You can do math, but you choose not to.

This graph shows the market share of desktop operating systems worldwide based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

30 years ago Linux had a grand total of 1 user.

Comment

• Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Don't lie.

Windows is below 75%. Mac is just above 15%. You can do math, but you choose not to.

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market...ktop/worldwide

30 years ago Linux had a grand total of 1 user.
      I don't lie but you do by shoving the wrong inapplicable statistics. Here's the right one: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

And check MacOS and Linux vanishingly tiny market shares for what matters, i.e. gaming.

Originally posted by Sevard View Post
      And I enjoy both playing on both Linux and Windows without all the mess I had with NV drivers. I also have working Android emulator that I never managed to run with NV driver on Linux, and it crashed with NV driver on Windows.
      I have no mess with NVIDIA drivers both under Linux and Windows. It all just works. There's no need to lie and make things up.

Comment

My narrative of what? Of something which is actually usable and reliable? You've got an amazingly shallow and vapid reply lacking any substance. Congrats. I will do my best to ignore your comments from now on because my ignore list is full and I cannot add more people to it.
        oh wow, where is all this hate coming from

Comment

• Well, this is awesome.
          I am a bit sad that Pascal architecture gets out of it..
          Hope that nouveau driver will catch up at least till Pascal cards..

So right now there will be,
          A proprietary driver that supports all cards( kernel space + userspace ),
          A closed userspace driver that supports a opensource kernel space driver,
          And nouveau

Am I right?

Comment

NVIDIA is truly lamenting all the 25 people here on Phoronix who refuse to buy their products trying to game under an absolutely ill-suited OS for that. Meanwhile their tens if not hundreds of millions of actual customers enjoy gaming on Windows.
            Again with the fake news.

Nvidia makes it quite clear that this is all about corporations and data centers. The Phoronix article also makes this clear. "already production-ready for data center GPU usage."

Gamers are second fiddle for Nvidia. It's the corporate big wigs buying $50,000 A100 accelerators that Nvidia cares about. That's why they got an immediate production-ready code. If I gave you $50,000 dollars, you'd care about me too. That's not to say that gamers are un-important. But it's clear that money is talking much louder here than anybody in this discussion board.

Comment

And check MacOS and Linux vanishingly tiny market shares for what matters, i.e. gaming.
              That's a nice shift of the goal posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

That's a nice shift of the goal posts.
                Hey, you said something about MacOS, tell me again who the fuck is shifting the goal posts?

Now check your beloved Linux market share for the past 10 years: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market...arly-2009-2022

0.69% in 2009, 2.3% this year, so I was wrong by the whole fucking 0.3%, i.e. no one seriously considers its existence and most people have no clue what Linux is just like 20 years ago. And statcounter for fuck's sake? Really?

Again, where it matters, gaming, Linux is close to 1%. Datacenters and shit you're so keen to talk about? Absolute most installations are NVIDIA, AMD is a very distant second.

Anyways, I've totally lost you and your "counter" arguments. Tell me again what you're trying to dispute because I absolutely don't understand why you intervened.

Comment

• Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  Well... This is one of those times where I was wrong, but I'm glad to be so.

Guess I don't have to feel bad about buying an RTX 3090 last summer at all.
                  I don't about guilt, but you need to be ashamed. So much money for single gpu

Comment

• No wonder i heard some pigs outside my windows, on second floor of the house I am in.

I am so used to hate on NVidia, now what do I do???

Comment

• Hilarious! Amazing how many are readily suckered into some hardware vendor stating "Linux support" or other Linux related support statements without even researching first.

All of the partial articles posted via RSS incited all older nVidia GPUs being supported by the open sourced driver. Reading into this article and/or updated/re-edited article,

"Only Turing and newer GPUs will be supported by this open-source kernel driver."

Well, let's all search what a Turing GPU is, they are only the most recent nVidia RTX GPUs! These GPU's require firmware uploads, and firmware uploads require significant time delays during Linux booting for uploading! I also readily guessed even while reading all of the press hype last night, the open source would likely only support the most recent GPUs.

Without wasting much more time researching what nVidia did open source, I'm readily guessing this so-called "open sourced nVidia driver" is just a simple open code wrapper around the proprietary firmware driver, and as to how much code nVidia actually open sourced is likely going to be subjective. (eg. Those believing hype, will likely believe in any open code submitted.) Having used nVidia hardware for 15-20+ years, I know better than to bite on this one. And, I'm going to guess, you're still going to be blessed with your random mysterious X/Xorg 100% CPU spins requiring rebooting/shutdown!

Regardless as to whether or not nVidia did publish an open source driver for all of it's hardware, my next discreet GPU will be an Intel GPU. I've already transitioned with my recent Dell Xe laptop.

Comment

Working...
                      X