NVIDIA Transitioning To Official, Open-Source Linux GPU Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by arunbupathy View Post
    I would also add to my last post that I will truly consider nVidia good if they open up the CUDA API/ABIs for everybody else. That way other vendors can provide CUDA implementations, and existing CUDA applications can be used as-is, without jumping through a million hoops.
    You do realise that if Nvidia will open source Cuda, it will lose its competitive advantage in GPU compute sphere? I mean Cuda is the reason many buy Nvidia GPU's so I think that's the least likely thing Nvidia will open source.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
      This definitely isn't as big as you want it to be: https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1524615058688724992
      100% this

Comment

• Well, this is a first step in the right direction. So we probably have KMS, energy management and FW loading on freedom kernel code there. That is good for a start and can also serve as a base for Nouveau work.
        But then, the "mesa" part is still closed.

Well, let's see how things develop.

(And of course, it is simpler to deploy stuff now, no recompiling of things, this is basically what AMD did years before, so one can also install the former-fglrx blob easily on the kernel, just that AMD also offers the whole stack as freedom software. But nonetheless, a first step in the right direction for nvidia.)
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

• Originally posted by dragonn View Post

Does AMD have open source firmware for they GPU? Does Intel have it?
          No, go F**** yourself.
          This isn't a thread about AMD or intel. I'll happily curse them out elsewhere, a million times over.

Also what is a F****?

Comment

• elmo.jpg

Finally

Comment

• Wow, it's getting cold in here - did hell freeze over or something like that?

Well, most of the interesting part is still in the firmware, but it's a good move nonetheless!

Comment

• Originally posted by hikingpete View Post
                IIRC, the kernel folks are unlikely to allow this upstream without an open source userspace. This is not likely to lead to a significant change in the status quo near term. Our best bets remain with Nouveau, who can hopefully benefit from this release, and maybe get reclocking working on newer systems :shrug:. Still, this does appear to significantly improve the prospects of Nouveau, and if there's an open userspace still coming, that changes everything. Kudos to Nvidia for being less shit than normal.
                Eh, I wouldn't be shocked if at some point Mesa supports this as a kernel driver.

Comment

• Originally posted by user1 View Post

You do realise that if Nvidia will open source Cuda, it will lose its competitive advantage in GPU compute sphere? I mean Cuda is the reason many buy Nvidia GPU's so I think that's the least likely thing Nvidia will open source.
                  Yes sir. But do you realize that there is AMD's HIP, which is almost exactly CUDA, with the only difference being that the CUDA API/C functions are replaced with similar looking functions? There is technically no reason for nVidia to not open up CUDA. But they want us to suffer in hell trying to port our code/application to HIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by aksdb View Post
                    For everyone here praising AMD and (still) condemning NVIDIA:

* AMD also had a strictly closed source driver before they went open source. Everyone has to start somewhere. (However AMDs/ATIs close source driver was a bigger shit show than NVIDIAs ever was.).
                    * AMD also only released open source drivers for the newer card generations at the time. I still remember that, because I (also) was pissed that I still had to cling to their closed source driver back then, even though they now were praised for their opensource strategy.

So yes, AMD is a few years ahead in regards to an open source (or maybe open-core?) strategy, but IMO that doesn't take anything away from NVIDIA also (finally) taking that course. So calm down everyone and be happy that we are on a promising road now.
                    This 👍

Comment

• Originally posted by baka0815 View Post

Well, most of the interesting part is still in the firmware, but it's a good move nonetheless!
                      Very true but at least that part is "platform agnostic" and won't get in the way of it one day supporting many more open platforms i.e OpenBSD.

Comment

Working...
                      X