X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, this firmware is not redistributable separate from the driver.run:

not so useful for Nouveau for now.

Comment

• I'm a little confused. This open source driver apparently only supports Turing and newer GPUs but description on their website says that 515.43 supports as far back as the 700 series.

Comment

• As I understand things, the NVIDIA binary blob kernel driver contains various bits of signed firmware that is downloaded to the card for various features including being able to change the power level/clock speed of the card (firmware that is intentionally made difficult to extract from the driver) and that NVIDIA have released some of these firmware pieces for use by open source drivers but not the bits that are needed for power level/clock speed stuff.

Does this new open source release include the firmware that gets loaded to the GPU and if so is it the crippled version previously released or the full-fat version with power/clock stuff?

Comment

• Call me when they want to talk about open source firmware. I'm sorry, but FUCK NVIDIA

Comment

• For everyone here praising AMD and (still) condemning NVIDIA:

* AMD also had a strictly closed source driver before they went open source. Everyone has to start somewhere. (However AMDs/ATIs close source driver was a bigger shit show than NVIDIAs ever was.).
            * AMD also only released open source drivers for the newer card generations at the time. I still remember that, because I (also) was pissed that I still had to cling to their closed source driver back then, even though they now were praised for their opensource strategy.

So yes, AMD is a few years ahead in regards to an open source (or maybe open-core?) strategy, but IMO that doesn't take anything away from NVIDIA also (finally) taking that course. So calm down everyone and be happy that we are on a promising road now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murple View Post
              Call me when they want to talk about open source firmware. I'm sorry, but FUCK NVIDIA
              Does AMD have open source firmware for they GPU? Does Intel have it?
              No, go F**** yourself.

Comment

• This definitely isn't as big as you want it to be: https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1524615058688724992

Comment

• That's shut the AMD fanboys up for good, bang goes your only advantage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murple View Post
                    Call me when they want to talk about open source firmware. I'm sorry, but FUCK NVIDIA
                    Stallman, is that you ?

Comment

• Nothing changes, it's just the middle finger being slowly swapped to a thumb. VERY slowly, it's still ached by ages in that position.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X