Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Again with the fake news.

Nvidia makes it quite clear that this is all about corporations and data centers. The Phoronix article also makes this clear. "already production-ready for data center GPU usage."

Gamers are second fiddle for Nvidia. It's the corporate big wigs buying $50,000 A100 accelerators that Nvidia cares about. That's why they got an immediate production-ready code. If I gave you $50,000 dollars, you'd care about me too. That's not to say that gamers are un-important. But it's clear that money is talking much louder here than anybody in this discussion board.
    So companies work for money and take care of biggest money maker customers first. What else is new? Or why is corporation is at fault here?

The fact that they move in right direction is great. Incremental improvements - is what drives OSS world, as long as improvements are happening and are often enough, before they become irrelevant. Which time will show.

Comment

• Holy s***, Finally! It's clear that is totally driven by profit from Data Centers/Corporations but I'm not complaining. Many like me didn't have a choice to buy a laptop with AMD hardware few years ago. Everyone benefits from this!

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
        "Humiliation"? "Forgive" what exactly? Infinite demands and insults?
        I have a long list of what's wrong with the NVidia drivers. Linux is a third class citizen for NVidia. At least compare the GPU configuration software on Windows and Linux. On my old NVidia GPU I had problems with getting out of suspend mode. This process took about a minute (!) because of the driver. Even on my current RTX 3060ti there are minor artifacts caused by suspend. I don't have any of these issues on open-source drivers.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        I've been using NVIDIA GPUs along with their blob with few to no issues for almost two decades now - more than most people here have used Linux and longer than some of people here have lived.
        Generally speaking, everything works well - it's true. But some applications have problems - what works well on non-NVidia GPU, doesn't work on NVidia. Especially I notice this in DE compositors. Developers can't look into the source code, and NVidia hasn't fixed many problems for years.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Just don't tell me about Wayland, OK? I don't care about this wonderful shiny ... crap.
        Nah, I'm not a Wayland fanboy. Wayland is monolithic crap that pushes the GNOME dictatorship.
        Last edited by Monsterovich; 12 May 2022, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Great to see some progress. Even though driven by data center market. Hopefully it also helps nouveau.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaoDome View Post
            I'm excited to read all this! Already when I read about Tegra I was like... huh.. but this!!
            Still, kinda bummed that it's Turing+, damn...
            Indeed, at least they should find a solution till Pascal..

Comment

I have no mess with NVIDIA drivers both under Linux and Windows. It all just works. There's no need to lie and make things up.
              Try to install official NV drivers on Linux with fully encrypted filesystem. Most likely it won't boot. I encounterd this bug 6 years ago and most likely it's not fixed to this day (last time I tried to check this last year). IIRC for some reason NV drivers tries to access some file on encrypted filesystem in this case. Eg.
              I've installed ubuntu 17.10 with full disk encryption and then installed the nvidia drivers (v 384). when I boot the computer I will get the graphics interface to enter the encryption key but the system will stop to work, like it has hang. Basically I'm not able to enter the password! I've to restart in safe mode to be able to enter the password for the encryption, after that I can just resume the boot and all works. There seems to be some issues with the initial boot screen and nvidia driv...

And yes - it can be fixed with some crazy workarounds, but every kernel upgrade breaks this. And all the other GPU drivers don't have this issue.

Another issue - secure boot. When you have dual boot with Windows with Bitlocker enabled it's something crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                "Only Turing and newer GPUs will be supported by this open-source kernel driver."

Well, let's all search what a Turing GPU is, they are only the most recent nVidia RTX GPUs!
                Turing is 2000 series not 3000.

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                Without wasting much more time researching what nVidia did open source, I'm readily guessing ...
                Then don't spew some random speculations...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sevard View Post
                  Try to install official NV drivers on Linux with fully encrypted filesystem. Most likely it won't boot. I encounterd this bug 6 years ago and most likely it's not fixed to this day (last time I tried to check this last year). IIRC for some reason NV drivers tries to access some file on encrypted filesystem in this case. Eg.
                  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...h/+bug/1721988
                  And yes - it can be fixed with some crazy workarounds, but every kernel upgrade breaks this. And all the other GPU drivers don't have this issue.

Another issue - secure boot. When you have dual boot with Windows with Bitlocker enabled it's something crazy.
                  • No idea, fully encrypted system here, zero issues. This is relevant for 0.1% of users out there but WFM.
                  • Secure boot here with my own certificate, again zero issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

I have a long list of what's wrong with the NVidia drivers. Linux is a third class citizen for NVidia. At least compare the GPU configuration software on Windows and Linux. On my old NVidia GPU I had problems with getting out of suspend mode. This process took about a minute (!) because of the driver. Even on my current RTX 3060ti there are minor artifacts caused by suspend. I don't have any of these issues on open-source drivers.
                    Windows is a gaming platform/OS, Linux (distros) pretends it's a gaming platform. Compare AMD and Intel Windows drivers to Linux drivers - no graphics settings panels at all unlike NVIDIA which at least offers something. The open source Linux kernel driver does not address or solve this issue as it hasn't for AMD and Intel.

I have had zero issues with suspend for the past five years, earlier indeed there were issues. Since I hate the "works for me" argument Linux users love so much to use, I frequent NVIDIA Linux forums and I haven't seen a lot of commotion in regard to suspend [issues] either. Actually not a single topic related to suspend for the past few months.

Speaking of artefacts - where's your bug report on NVIDIA forums? Screenshots? I've seen nothing. Are you using the latest drivers? Are they properly packaged? I saw minor artefacts but last time it happened probably around 2017. And then when you restart an affected application, everything looks great, and artefacts disappear.

Generally speaking, everything works well - it's true. But some applications have problems - what works well on non-NVidia GPU, doesn't work on NVidia. Especially I notice this in DE compositors. Developers can't look into the source code, and NVidia hasn't fixed many problems for years.
                    I have had no issues with KDE and XFCE X11 compositors in the past couple of years. Again, nothing on NVIDIA Linux forums either.

Nah, I'm not a Wayland fanboy. Wayland is monolithic crap that pushes the GNOME dictatorship.
                    That's nice to hear. Actually Wayland is a nice idea, it's just the implementation which is severely lacking.

Comment

No idea, fully encrypted system here, zero issues. This is relevant for 0.1% of users out there but WFM.
                      And doesn't work for quite a lot of people out there. Disabling splash screen solves issues for some users, but in case of AMD and Intel it just works.
                      Secure boot here with my own certificate, again zero issues.
                      Same story - for AMD and Intel it just works.

I don't really care about license thing. I just don't want to waste time on system configuration. With NV every kernel upgrade can break system. It requires some magic with secure boot and encrypted filesystem. With Intel and AMD I just install system and it works. No issues, no configuration. AMD, Intel = simplicity.
                      I can live with binary driver, but I don't really want to waste more time on setting things up than it's really neccessary.

Comment

Working...
                      X