Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Publishes Signed Ampere Firmware To Finally Allow Accelerated Open-Source Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t see the point in an open source driver when Nvidia’s proprietary driver works perfectly and even has a nice settings utility which I haven’t seen on AMD since the old catalyst control center. AMD’s drivers on Linux can be confusing for new Linux users considering they have three(?) different drivers to choose from. Each of them have different ways to enable features like variable refresh rate. Linux community keeps pushing “AMD” as the go to option for gaming on Linux but simple things that are easily enabled via Nvidia’s control panel have to be manually set in the xorg config.

Most rolling releases so far I’ve used have an easy installer for Nvidia’s proprietary driver.

Only reason I see for the open source drivers is to solve problems with AMD’s driver. For example AMDGPU LLVM compiler was complete garbage so Valve created ACO.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

better than AMD since amd drivers are really bad
      Spot the windows user.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Phoronix is a website dedicated to Linux on the desktop. How often do you read news about new Nginx, Apache, Java, Tomcat, RoR/Passenger, MySQL/MariaDB/Percona, Postgres, MongoDB/Redis, etc. here? Michael occasionally posts about new PHP releases and that's it.

Tons of people on Phoronix and other Linux forums love throwing "Linux on servers! Linux on Android!" Who the f cares if we want to use it as a desktop OS?

Corporate customers couldn't care less about the open-sourceness of GPU drivers. Corporate customers don't dabble with new shiny Linux kernel releases. Some Hollywood/3D content studios (corporate customers indeed) do use Linux for applications such as Maya/Blender/etc., but they normally run LTS Linux distros, either RHEL and its derivates or Ubuntu LTS - again, they couldn't care less about Wayland, games, etc. etc. etc.
        Yes, because I'm sure desktop users care about google shaving a boot time off of servers with dozens of NVMe drives. /s

Phoronix is basically only linux-focused, and right now the majority of linux systems are in enterprise. Compute (basically AI + "data science" + supercomputers) is also the only real segment of nvidia's business that run linux, and they run linux exclusively. If you're on linux and using an nvidia card, it's been known for over a decade now that you're just signing yourself up for headaches. If you're a desktop user who doesn't need CUDA, this is just dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

better than AMD since amd drivers are really bad
          What are you talking about? I am playing perfectly well Diablo 2 Ressurected, on my Ryzen 4650G, only at the internal GPU, Vega 7.
          Works like a charm - 30FPS, with FSR upscaling from 1720x720 -> 3440x1440. D2R really looks well on FSR, shame that it doesn't support it natively.

Comment

I wonder, if this is connected with the recent nvidia servers breach, and they are doing this not that they "love" Linux, but rather they don't want their VERILOG files all over the internet.

Comment

I that this forum thread devolved into nothingness very quickly. A sign of the times at Moronix

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Yes, because I'm sure desktop users care about google shaving a boot time off of servers with dozens of NVMe drives. /s

Phoronix is basically only linux-focused, and right now the majority of linux systems are in enterprise. Compute (basically AI + "data science" + supercomputers) is also the only real segment of nvidia's business that run linux, and they run linux exclusively. If you're on linux and using an nvidia card, it's been known for over a decade now that you're just signing yourself up for headaches. If you're a desktop user who doesn't need CUDA, this is just dumb.
                This phrase is so wrong SO MUCH.
                Disclaimer, using Radeon 5700 XT currently.
                But previous to that ALL my GPU were nvidia. Starting first generation Nvidia cards. For over a decade of all together use of Nvidia cards, they had drivers that just worked.
                I switched from Nvidia to AMD, and some games in Steam stopped working all together. And still don't work.
                So NO. Nvidia's closed sourced driver is GOOD.

With that said, i can live without couple of games and prefer to have freedom over functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  This is great news! Kudos to NVIDIA though this firmware is long long overdue.

To NVIDIA employees: don't mind the comments here: vapid haters gonna hate. The Linux community for some reasons has the highest concentration of haters among any other community I've dealt with.
                  the nickname birdie means subversive activtiy agaist open-source and linux ,,,

and you are a clear liar to you claim there are 5 million distros ... even if you search on distrowatch.com this is not the case.

also if you read the top 100 and you remove any special purpose distro from the list and you only count general purpose distros
                  and also remove any BSD distro from the list to because they are not linux distros then the result is a handfull distros.
                  then if you use steam statistic to see what distro has any relevance the result is even less.
                  also remove all doublications from the list like ubuntu vs kubuntu it is only ubuntu with KDE... then the list is even shorter.

lets face it instead of 5 million distros we have 20 with some kind of relevance and maybe only 5 with significant marketshare.

and it becomes even less if you only count debian based systems as ".deb debian like" and redhat/fedora as ".rpm like"

and it comes to even less if you only count what software developers target in modern systems because there are only """3"""
                  systems to target: snaps, flatpak, Webassembly+WebGPU

and ubuntu based systems are the only on one snaps.... all other distros go with flatpak...

and if you target Webassembly+WebGPU you do not care what distro is in use at all.

even the war between snaps und flatpak is long over and you will see ubuntu to pull the plug on this shit ...

this means you just spread FUD all over this phoronix.com website ...

all other people just target flatpak or Webassembly+WebGPU... means they do not care at all what distro you use.
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                    I that this forum thread devolved into nothingness very quickly. A sign of the times at Moronix
                    Shows what you know. It's pronounced Maroonix. :P

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

the nickname birdie means subversive activtiy agaist open-source and linux ,,,

and you are a clear liar to you claim there are 5 million distros ... even if you search on distrowatch.com this is not the case.

also if you read the top 100 and you remove any special purpose distro from the list and you only count general purpose distros
                      and also remove any BSD distro from the list to because they are not linux distros then the result is a handfull distros.
                      then if you use steam statistic to see what distro has any relevance the result is even less.
                      also remove all doublications from the list like ubuntu vs kubuntu it is only ubuntu with KDE... then the list is even shorter.

lets face it instead of 5 million distros we have 20 with some kind of relevance and maybe only 5 with significant marketshare.

and it becomes even less if you only count debian based systems as ".deb debian like" and redhat/fedora as ".rpm like"

and it comes to even less if you only count what software developers target in modern systems because there are only """3"""
                      systems to target: snaps, flatpak, Webassembly+WebGPU

and ubuntu based systems are the only on one snaps.... all other distros go with flatpak...

and if you target Webassembly+WebGPU you do not care what distro is in use at all.

even the war between snaps und flatpak is long over and you will see ubuntu to pull the plug on this shit ...

this means you just spread FUD all over this phoronix.com website ...

all other people just target flatpak or Webassembly+WebGPU... means they do not care at all what distro you use.
                      1. It's called exaggeration, it drives the point home.
                      2. 20/5 distros is still _a lot_ to support. Compare that with simply two other major OSes (yes, the BSDs are supported somewhat too, but that's beyond the point).
                      3. You wish changing the package manager was the only relevant difference, but it isn't, not even close. Userspace library versions, kernel versions, kernel flags, etc. All have to be verified, all have to be developed for, it's non-trivial work.
                      4. Not only you have many distros, but most also have a really fast pace between releases compared to Windows and MacOS. Both Windows and MacOS do release updates, but they do so without breaking driver compatibility, while Linux breaks it. Which, in practice, is equivalent to supporting many more targets.
                      5. Yes, Snap/Flatpak solve the libraries and packaging part (in a half-assed way, but it still counts), but they still run the same gazillion kernels, and for a kernel driver that's obviously still a big issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X