Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Publishes Signed Ampere Firmware To Finally Allow Accelerated Open-Source Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Publishes Signed Ampere Firmware To Finally Allow Accelerated Open-Source Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes Signed Ampere Firmware To Finally Allow Accelerated Open-Source Support

Days after new open-source kernel driver code appeared in a Tegra code drop, NVIDIA happens today to have published signed firmware images for their RTX 30 "Ampere" graphics processors for finally allowing open-source driver support to proceed for these latest-generation GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So this is nearly useless, unless NVidia paired this with a FOSS driver. Nothing new, it's the usual NVidia boredom.

Comment

Should i interpret this as next-gen nvidia gpu is close to release?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        Should i interpret this as next-gen nvidia gpu is close to release?
        If you want

Comment

Losers!
          They finally realize that Linux is wining, getting more and more attention and users and they suck.
          Fuck you Nvidia, we'll continue to buy AMD!
          Last edited by Danny3; 11 April 2022, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Well, this isn't much, but at least it makes the lives of nouveau devs a little bit easier.
            It's kind of like receiving a crayon drawing from a child - besides sentimentality, there's no real value or anything interesting about it at all.

Comment

Insert the usual "Nvidia owes you nothing you f***ing peasant, install the damn shim driven lazy windows port driver".

Comment

So, not much has changed. If you want open source drivers, buy AMD or Intel hardware. Even if Nvidia reconsiders their policy vs. open source tomorrow, it might take them a while to sort out 3rd party IP in their drivers. By comparison, it took AMD a few years.

Edit: If you don't care about having the very latest version, it might make sense to go from one LTS version of your distribution to the next and just use the binary driver.
                But when I read news like this, I wonder why people still work on noveau. It might be a lot more satisfying to work with a hardware maker that does not impede you at every turn. And it has been a few years now that it is obvious Nvidia is the least open source friendly hardware maker.
                Last edited by Rabiator; 11 April 2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I am so glad I switched to an AMD graphics card, solved all my problems and I no longer need to install anything extra.

I don't even need to follow nvidia news, waiting for them to actually support open source drivers

Comment

Fuck you NVIDIA! IT'S FUCKING 2022.

Get your shit together.

Comment

Working...
                    X