No announcement yet.

New NVIDIA Open-Source Linux Kernel Graphics Driver Appears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty sure Tegra has been open source for ages now? It’s their mobile phone chip, isn’t it?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

But what if this leak was not a result of successful hacking but a deliberate attempt of an NVIDIA employee to steer the company towards the open-source path faster?
      That employee should start to check plane tickets to somewhere without extradition agreements with the USA...

Comment

I hope this 'new' driver brings HDMI 2.0+ support to the mainline kernel for Tegra users.

Comment

What if NVIDIA has actually yielded to LAPSUS$ demands? That would be truly massive.
          Very improbable: freeing the drivers would require an exhaustive legal revision to ensure that nothing that belongs to other companies and that is used under agreements is published. AMD needed a lot of time to prepare for that, and it only freed documentation, not code. So I don't think that this has anything to do with that.

Comment

But what if this leak was not a result of successful hacking but a deliberate attempt of an NVIDIA employee to steer the company towards the open-source path faster?
            Given everyone they've hacked, it seems more like Lapsus stumbled onto a big exploit, rather than this being some kind of inside job.

Comment

I hope Nouveau devs can take something useful from this code, like Radv took from AMD.

I'm not a Nvidia user, but I hold all Mesa developers in high regard

Comment

Nvidia did what??? ... but, but, lapsu$... but not for desk...
                Whatever! I'll take it.
                Thanks, Nvidia.
                Last edited by _ReD_; 08 April 2022, 12:11 PM.

Comment

At least it seems relevant to contemporary products: https://developer.nvidia.com/embedde...nity/lifecycle

If I had to guess, they wanted to release it a year ago when Nintendo EOLed the Switch but something held them back until now.

Comment

It's one week late?

Comment

Big nothing-burger. Nvidia's mobile ARM chips have had open-source drivers for ages now.

Comment

Working...
                      X