NVIDIA Releases Quake II RTX 1.6 With Support For AMD FidelityFX FSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases Quake II RTX 1.6 With Support For AMD FidelityFX FSR

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases Quake II RTX 1.6 With Support For AMD FidelityFX FSR

It's been nearly one year since NVIDIA's last update to Quake II RTX as their port of Quake II to using Vulkan ray-tracing extensions for RTX path-traced global illumination. Fortunately, that changed today as they are out with a big update in the form of Quake II RTX v1.6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As expected, looks terrible vs the game's own TAAU. But at least you can combine the RCAS pass with it, so it's not entirely useless. Just almost.
    Last edited by aufkrawall; 21 January 2022, 07:25 PM.

Comment

It also brings bug fixes so it actually starts on Radv.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
        It also brings bug fixes so it actually starts on Radv.
        Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was new... noticed that today when I randomly tried Quake II RTX again and it worked on my 6700 XT. Launch options: RADV_PERFTEST=rt %command%

But I get weird polygons when it starts a scene on RTX. Terrible FPS (20-60) and moving through the menus reminds me when I used to play Doom 1 on an old PC. Just flat out crawls.

OpenGL works fine though and runs very nice. Tried RTX on my Windows partition right now and works perfectly. Gets about 93 FPS with Dynamic Scaling and target FPS set to 90 with not that bad hit to visual quality to care that much.

Also, does anyone know what's a good setting for FSR? I set it to yes and the default settings is 0.2 with a max of 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          Also, does anyone know what's a good setting for FSR? I set it to yes and the default settings is 0.2 with a max of 2.0.
          Depends on what setting this is. By your description it seems to be the RCAS sharpness, where lower is sharper, anything above 0.5 is pretty much useless. You may use 0.0-0.2 on very low viewsizes like 40-60, and decrease sharpness to 0.3-0.5 when the view size is closer to the output resolution.

EDIT: I checked the source code, it is the sharpness setting, so the above should be correct.
          Last edited by jntesteves; 21 January 2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Game saves are incompatible with previous versions. Damn it

Comment

Tried running this on my 6800M, OpenGL runs great, RTX however runs at 6fps and most of the walls aren't rendered

Comment

Does anyone know how I can tell Mesa Radv to use a specific device? It detects all my GPUs (Polaris10, Navi10, Pitcairn), but simple picks the first one.

Comment

Found a workaround: https://github.com/aejsmith/vkdevicechooser
                  It went from slideshow (Polaris10) to broken rendering (Navi10).

Comment

Been using Quake II RTX as my main OpenGL client and it runs flawlessly, and the new textures are better than the HD textures I was using with Yamagi Q2.

It runs even better than vKQuake2 which is the Vulkan renderer. I have the music soundtrack working (in OGG files, let me know if you need. It's not included in the retail version), and multiplayer works perfectly with a server browser. There's no quirks; just a fully working Quake II client. And if I want RTX action, I can use my Windows partition until the Linux support gets better or a future video card with better RTX. I'm in no rush. Quake II isn't going anywhere.

I really think NVIDIA did a solid with Quake II RTX. It was a gift to the gaming community in my opinion, and the fact that they included AMD FSR in the new version is great. I'm all for giving credit where credit is due.

Comment

Working...
                    X