Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Open-Source Image Scaling SDK 1.0 Released

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Open-Source Image Scaling SDK 1.0 Released

Last week NVIDIA announced the Image Scaling SDK as an open-source, cross-platform GPU image upscaling implementation that with their own hardware makes use of DLSS. Following the brief exposure over the past week, NVIDIA Image Scaling SDK 1.0 has been formally christened...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"NVIDIA's Open-Source"

Two words that don't go together.....

Comment

Gimp plugin where?

Comment

This is quite cool. I need to do a back/back (and SSIM) test of this against FSR and the best oldschool scalers, like sharpened spline.

I'm outa my depth here, but some things I noticed in the source:

-FP16 Support
        -Optimization for Nvidia/AMD/Intel, though right now the setting is a placeholder/doesn't appear to do anything, as all the values are exactly the same for each vendor.
        -Still HLSL only.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
          This is quite cool. I need to do a back/back (and SSIM) test of this against FSR and the best oldschool scalers, like sharpened spline.
          For testing scalers/sharpeners I recommend VIFp (preferably this version). It doesn't punish for oversharpening only for artifacts from it and overall it's a better metric than SSIM.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
            I think without sharpen, NIS and FSR/EASU pretty much generate the same result. While it's nice that Nvidia does something open, it looks redundant to me. Their sharpen also seems very inferior to CAS/RCAS, as it gives very aliased results.

If AMD did one thing right for gamers in recent years, it's CAS. A sharpen filter that introduces hardly any ringing and aliasing while being very fast = full of win. Love it combined with DLSS.

Comment

Too little, too late.

Comment

Nvidia GimpWorks has made me very wary of anything NVidia puts out that runs on all major GPUs, but has a separate code path for Nvidia GPUs.

Comment

Working...
                X