No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Prepares The Linux Kernel For Future Laptops With EC-Driven Backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Prepares The Linux Kernel For Future Laptops With EC-Driven Backlights

Phoronix: NVIDIA Prepares The Linux Kernel For Future Laptops With EC-Driven Backlights

NVIDIA is contributing a new open-source driver to the upstream Linux kernel for dealing with upcoming laptops where the backlight controls are handled by the device's embedded controller (EC)...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ven-Backlights

I really wish more laptop manufacturers offered back-lit keyboards as an option (before the flames start--I was in hardware design for many years; I understand all the ramifications of doing this).
    I consider myself a typical computer user--laptop; black, with mostly-black keys, of course ('black' is nature's 'camouflage' color); used all hours of the day and night, under all types of lighting conditions--said lighting conditions including being in a room darkened as a courtesy to others...
    I find, after all these years, that a reasonably-priced back-lit keyboard can no longer be considered a luxury.

This seems like a good thing; back-light control with only 200 lines of code; would appreciate a comparison of what this method 'brings to the party', vs current methods.

Comment

Working...
    X