NVIDIA Releases More GameWorks Projects As Open-Source With Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases More GameWorks Projects As Open-Source With Linux Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases More GameWorks Projects As Open-Source With Linux Support

It looks like NVIDIA could be feeling the pressure from AMD's GPUOpen efforts with NVIDIA now publishing more GameWorks projects as open-source for both Linux and Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It feels good to see nvidia capitulating to some of the pressure AMD has been applying. hopefully they continue making more things open sourced and eventually their drivers.

Comment

Doubt they give a damn about AMD.

Perhaps not everyone is happy with the direction Microsoft is going with Windows 11, and people need options.

Comment

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post

Perhaps not everyone is happy with the direction Microsoft is going with Windows 11, and people need options.
        Yeah... but that's been the case since windows 8... and look where we are now regardless. Valve tried at least.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Yeah... but that's been the case since windows 8... and look where we are now regardless. Valve tried at least.
          if the major GPU manufacturers allowed SR-IOV or other variants (GVT-g) on consumer dedicated GPUs i think you'd see a much larger share of people moving to linux. i know it'd make my life easier with playing Windows only games especially with the LookingGlass project and how far it's come

Comment

Michael is this the "great open-source news" related to nvidia that was teased months ago?

Comment

This is pretty cool, nothing I'm interested in personally, but cool nonetheless

Comment

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post

They may or may not give a damn about AMD, but they do give a damn about ARM as they're about to buy the company. Linux and other open source projects (on top of RTOS) are the life blood of ARM hardware despite the awful record of companies like Qualcomm and Broadcom. Linux is also the bread and butter of HPC which is more or less CPU agnostic. HPC will function on X86, ARM, POWER, etc. CPU arch doesn't really matter.
                This is a side effect of the ARM Ltd purchase. Windows absolutely sucks on ARM and developers know this. The hardware has abysmal performance, and it's extremely expensive to scale it up for Windows to run on it.
                So the only communities that matter much for ARM are free software (Linux, BSD, & RTOS types) or MacOS. By far the biggest visible community is the free software community so that's who Nvidia is trying to make nice with. There'll be other offerings to the commercial RTOS companies, but those will be quietly offered. This is PR BS to try to change Nvidia's long held appearance of hostility to free software. I think they'll find that the free software community on the average, has a very long memory, especially when their crown jewel is the GPU drivers and they're still closed source (not to mention impossible for mere mortals to buy currently).

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  Michael is this the "great open-source news" related to nvidia that was teased months ago?
                  Nope, that's still the Linux kernel-side of their GPU driver.
                  My only concern is that MrCooper (Daniel Vetter if I'm not mistaken) is giving them a hard time behind-the-scenes...

Comment

It seems quite likely that the recent change in heart is connected to the ARM acquisition... the easiest way to make ARM feasible for gaming would be by bolstering Linux support. Note how they've been testing gaming on Linux with non-X86 processors recently. Could this even tie in with Valve perhaps, given the recent push of the new SteamOS?

Comment

Working...
                    X