No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 470 EOL Drivers For Kepler Still Obliterating Open-Source Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have a laptop with a Fermi gpu, and that gpu has been useless for years now. There is no chance it would be any different for Kepler.

Comment

It's really shameful of them to not -allow- the open-source drivers to properly run the hardware.

I could understand not documenting it. I could understand not helping out. I can't understand this.

​​​​This is costing reputation and sales, and they're missing out on a great opportunity to have evangelists for their products on the ground in IT shops.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
        > Hopefully this gets fixed sometime soon.

Yeah, and why exactly Michael do you sound so hopeful? Any indication that suddenly now after years of not doing so, Nvidia will release firmware and authorise Nouveau to use it to re-clock cards?
        Any minute now, right?
        Notice that the big open-source GPU patches still haven't been posted?!

Or are you also one of those dimwits that believe it has to be Imagination Technologies, because, you know, they surely are losing out against AMD in the HPC space so they have to do something to stop the bleeding there!

Also, why the hell does RedHat of all companies keep investing shareholder money into Nouveau for years again?
        Because one day they hope to take over nVidia's binary blob all by themselves & make it the new standard in the enterprise space?
        Really?

Comment

I just have to chime in.

This is just like hoping to marry the prettiest girl in the whole wide world and magically living happily ever after!

Boy, cannot wait until we get mad when intel tells us different!

Comment

Buying nVidia is like taking arrow in the knee. Just why.

Comment

Originally posted by thegodland View Post
              Nobody is going to play games with GeFroce 600/700, it even slower than integrated GPUs, so nouveau should be enough.
              Anyway, smart guys just buy Radeon, it's cheaper, faster, and less targeted by those chinese miners.
              The GTX 780 Ti still runs circles around modern IGPs nowadays. It's still perfectly usable for 1080p gaming (and even 1440p on older games).

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

​​​​This is costing reputation and sales, and they're missing out on a great opportunity to have evangelists for their products on the ground in IT shops.
                As if Nvidia gives a damn about a bunch of 1% Linux basement dwellers complaining about drivers for cards they don't own.

For 1%, Linux users are so arrogant and deluded to think that their basement-dwelling views matter when Nvidia is soundly trashing AMD in Windows land and in datacentre parallel compute usage.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

You could also stop buying crap from this piece of shit vendor (nvidia = novideo).

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                    Works near perfectly under Windows and Linux. Not sure what your analogy implies.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                      How so? I have an Nvidia card. It is faster than AMD cards, I run the proprietary driver and it just works and I don't have to mess with anything. Now sometimes I do have to fight with the Nouveau driver to get something other than a black screen. Once I can get past that and use Nvidia's driver, then I am OK.

I bought the hardware so I am OK with using their driver. If I worried about the driver I would buy Intel or AMD. In graphics cards you make your feelings known about the driver when you get the hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X