Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Proposes The Linux Hardware Timestamping Engine

Phoronix: NVIDIA Proposes The Linux Hardware Timestamping Engine

A proposal by NVIDIA engineers for the mainline Linux kernel would introduce the Hardware Timestamping Engine (HTE) subsystem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But does this hardware time-stamps-providing enginge work correctly and reliably? I remember HPET was supposed to provide something similar, but a lot of these HPETs were quite "special" in handling.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Which cards will benefit from this feature?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        Which cards will benefit from this feature?
        GPU cards? None? Did you read the article?

Comment

This kind of thing is especially useful on mobile and embedded hardware where the CPU is often idle and shutdown with no interrupts, and the CPU cores also speed scale.

On x86 Linux systems it can be quite an effort to get an accurate timestamp, especially if the OS is waking up a thread on a different core, and with things like queued PCIe interrupts. MSI, I think those are called. There can be quite a delay (in interrupt terms) between a device sending MSI and the CPU getting it handled. Well, that is also true of regular interrupts, because the handler has to loop to handle every device that might have raised a shared interrupt.

I believe I remember reading that some of the flicker bugs in Nvidia's old SLI system were because of inaccurate time stamping.

Comment

IIs it just me or is this just a disguised plan for stronger DRM?

Comment

Nice feature!

I'm curious if they provide any support for mapping between the timestamp domains of different providers. Besides the mere ability to generate high-precision timestamps, that's the other thing I'd really like to see.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

I need the list.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  IIs it just me or is this just a disguised plan for stronger DRM?
                  It's just you.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Nvidia's timer block has been roughly the same since the TNT2. All their cards have a 32ns resolution for their time IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                    X