Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source Driver Flips On OpenGL ES 3.1 For Select NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Driver Flips On OpenGL ES 3.1 For Select NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series GPUs

Phoronix: Open-Source Driver Flips On OpenGL ES 3.1 For Select NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series GPUs

Sadly there isn't much to report on at this time around improved open-source "Nouveau" driver support for the recent GeForce RTX 20 and RTX 30 series while even the GTX 900 and GTX 1000 series graphics processors are in poor shape for this unofficial river. But when it comes to the aging GeForce 200 series, select models there are finally seeing OpenGL ES 3.1 supported by this open-source driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

graphics processors are in poor shape for this unofficial river
    The unofficial river needs some offical signatures before a lot of water is permitted to flow in the river.

Meanwhile you can get a RTX 3080 Ti for just $1,199 it has a mindblowing future proofing 12GB RAM!

Comment

Please, dear Nouveau devs, finish the power management & automatic reclocking work for old Nvidia GPUs already. Nvidia has dropped support for the 340 drivers last year and new kernel and X server revisions have come out since then, which means that 340 drivers cannot be used at all anymore in the majority of distros. I have an old notebook w/ 9400M and the current state of PM costs me at least 1hr usable of battery life (+ even when manually setting the lowest pstate, the GPU draws 4W more than w/ the old proprietary driver).

I would write a simple userspace daemon that reads GPU utilization on a regular interval and set the pstate in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate but there aren't even any performance counters/GPU load indicators exposed…

Comment

Thanks to the GPU shortage and the extreme prices for polaris cards, I had to pair my Hifive unmatched with the only thing I had laying around, one of those fake Nvidia "1060Ti" that is actually a 550Ti. It shows a FB or a Wayland GUI and does so while producing a lot of heat.

Comment

The NVIDIA situation is so lame. Can't they make a 'lightweight' proprietary driver that handles reclocking & thermals, but hands-off the GPU work to Nouveau?

I get that there are reasons they want to stick to their model, but they should at least offer a compromise option- that creates a path for an open-source driver to exist.

Comment

In the meantime Nvidia Pascal gpus are still with no support from nouveau..
            shame..

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

The unofficial river needs some offical signatures before a lot of water is permitted to flow in the river.

Meanwhile you can get a RTX 3080 Ti for just $1,199 it has a mindblowing future proofing 12GB RAM!
              Wait a moment that is a typo right?

Report it!

Comment

Even well supported GPU's don't work all that great with Nouveau. For example one of my machines has a 7800 AGP card in it. Works decent until you try to get s-video out of it then things go to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                  Please, dear Nouveau devs, finish the power management & automatic reclocking work for old Nvidia GPUs already. Nvidia has dropped support for the 340 drivers last year and new kernel and X server revisions have come out since then, which means that 340 drivers cannot be used at all anymore in the majority of distros. I have an old notebook w/ 9400M and the current state of PM costs me at least 1hr usable of battery life (+ even when manually setting the lowest pstate, the GPU draws 4W more than w/ the old proprietary driver).

I would write a simple userspace daemon that reads GPU utilization on a regular interval and set the pstate in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate but there aren't even any performance counters/GPU load indicators exposed…
                  Resolution: Worksforme
                  Details: Buy a new Card and install latest binary blobs
                  User: Fvckidia Unsupport

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                    In the meantime Nvidia Pascal gpus are still with no support from nouveau..
                    shame..
                    Well, there are lost of options - you could stop buying their shite. Intel will soon have discrete GPUs with open drivers. AMD has decent GPUs with open drivers. I heard the AMD drivers are also quite good these days. I still have one old Nvidia GPU, but if I ever need to replace it, I'd gladly choose AMD even if it cost a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                    X