Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.13 Yanks A NVIDIA NVLink Driver For Lack Of Open-Source User

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

    That not the problem in fact. There are many parts the Linux kernel maintain that are highly useful to proprietary software. The problem is how to test the Linux kernel if you don't have a decent reference to see how different drivers should be working. As valve stated with developing on Linux being able to see inside the mesa drivers allowed their developers to understand why particular things would not work they way they expected even on Windows. There is a need for a kernel driver developer to have source access to at least 1 user space that can use it.

    So its not that it requires proprietary software to use the feature. Its that proprietary software gets in the way of validating if a driver it working right and making sure you have test suite covering where needs to be. The reality here the kernel developers are unable to expend labour to make test suites without open source user space implementation to look inside. So its not that Linux kernel developers are expending labour on items with these problems its that they cannot even if they want to properly put labour into these parts.

    A reference open source userspace implementation is required for practical Linux kernel development reasons for all drivers.
    I think we're saying the same thing here. I have no problem with features that can be used with proprietary software, only features that must be used with proprietary software. Partly for the testability reasons you stated, but also because it furthers the goal of creating an open source operating system.
    Last edited by MaxToTheMax; 07 May 2021, 08:30 PM.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      So say for a user that had hardware that depends on that code. Did that permeantly break that hardware for future kernels? Or can that be readded on the userside when say I stalling the Nvidia driver?
      It just means that the nvidia proprietary kernel drivers will install this rather than having it upstream. And the upstream linux devs will stop maintaining that code for nvidia, they'll have to do it themselves instead, same as the rest of their kernel drivers.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        It just means that the nvidia proprietary kernel drivers will install this rather than having it upstream. And the upstream linux devs will stop maintaining that code for nvidia, they'll have to do it themselves instead, same as the rest of their kernel drivers.
        Other than the fact the reason Nvidia submitted it upstream in the first place was to reduce upstream alterations breaking their support over and over again.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

          Other than the fact the reason Nvidia submitted it upstream in the first place was to reduce upstream alterations breaking their support over and over again.
          They can decide to publish free code making usage of this, so they can reduce upstream alterations breaking their support at a wider scale.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
            They can decide to publish free code making usage of this, so they can reduce upstream alterations breaking their support at a wider scale.
            Exactly. Time will tell if this happens or not.

            Comment

            Working...
            X