Nouveau With Linux 5.12 Has ~5k L.O.C. Change In Preparing For Ampere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau With Linux 5.12 Has ~5k L.O.C. Change In Preparing For Ampere

Phoronix: Nouveau With Linux 5.12 Has ~5k L.O.C. Change In Preparing For Ampere

With Linux 5.11 there is open-source Nouveau KMS support for Ampere GPUs -- just kernel mode-setting without any form of 3D acceleration. The actual hardware acceleration requires more work and also NVIDIA to release the necessary signed firmware binaries. With Linux 5.12 there still is no 3D acceleration but a big set of patches was merged as a step in that direction...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In trying to add support for newer cards I hope they don't forget about increasing performance and fixing bugs for the cards they already support. Of course i'm biased as I own a GTX 780 Ti for one of my systems.

Comment

Amazing people in the nouveau project! Thankless (mostly/historically) work in spite of tremendous obstacles from the start.
      I abstain from buying nvidia stuff, but for the stuff that I already have or there is no feasible alternative, nouveau is a godsend.

Comment

Working...
      X