Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source "Nouveau" Driver Now Supports NVIDIA Ampere - But Without 3D Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source "Nouveau" Driver Now Supports NVIDIA Ampere - But Without 3D Acceleration

Phoronix: Open-Source "Nouveau" Driver Now Supports NVIDIA Ampere - But Without 3D Acceleration

Patches were sent out today that provide the open-source Linux kernel "Nouveau" driver with support for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series "Ampere" graphics cards. But at the moment there is no 3D acceleration and the developers are blocked still by signed firmware requirements, so it's basically just a matter of having kernel mode-setting display support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All the more reason not to buy Nvidia hardware if you want to use Linux. The world is beautiful even without Nvidia ... you know how nice not having to worry about Nvidia drivers anymore? That's great, because everything works!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      All the more reason not to buy Nvidia hardware if you want to use Linux. The world is beautiful even without Nvidia
      Yeah, I'm going to buy the newest NVIDIA graphics cards... to use nouveau. Lmao

As long as NVIDIA's proprietary driver supports it, what's the problem? All the mainstream distros have easy installs for NVIDIA's driver.

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      ...you know how nice not having to worry about Nvidia drivers anymore? That's great, because everything works!
      You know what's nice? Not having my 4K display flicker and artifact randomly. 4K@60Hz over HDMI is flawed on AMD Polaris (and according to other reports, even on RDNA), and AMD nor vendors want to admit it. Worked fine on the GTX 1060 I had for a bit though.
      Last edited by Guest; 14 January 2021, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Yeah, I'm going to buy the newest NVIDIA graphics cards... to use nouveau. Lmao

As long as NVIDIA's proprietary driver supports it, what's the problem? All the mainstream distros have easy installs for NVIDIA's driver.
        It's not just new stuff, though. I have a laptop with Nvidia Pascal and Intel graphics and I need to use the Intel stack only because the Nvidia driver won't run Wayland correctly, and I can't switch between Nvidia proprietary and Intel. Also, I have to deal with a tainted kernel and extra SecureBoot configuration with the proprietary driver. That has implications on my laptop and at work, where we have Nvidia GRID VMs.

I don't want much from Nvidia here, but -allowing- the nouveau driver to work correctly while open-source devs do all the heavy lifting is bare-minimum digital citizenship. Intel and AMD seem to sell plenty of GPUs while embracing the open-source ethos. Nvidia's ethical and technological posture on this issue is dead wrong; they -should- contribute to the kernel and Mesa and participate. Right now their stance is creating a lot of friction in the ecosystem that is harming adoption of Wayland et al.

Comment

You know what I love? I just bought a Gigabyte RTX 3090 a few weeks ago... and when I booted into Linux it just worked! And it works amazingly well

You can keep your AMD open source driver (which apparently is also crappy, if you want to go all the way you have to use the AMD Pro closed source driver... but I have a 3090 that works so I wouldn't know about AMD issues).

Unfortunately this is a bit embarrassing, but the 3090 GPU i have actually has more memory then my system... so at best I can push the card to 50% capacity (and I have tried!) so it is a beast!

But man booting into Linux and having the attached Samsung Odyssey G9 come alive on the 3090 with no issues is pure nerdvana!!!!

Keep your AMD FOSS GPU... I will stick with the one that crushes it and gives me all the performance I paid for

(now that said, when I get the AMD Zen 3 system built to actually drive this card and dump my functional but painful i5 I will be in the next level of nerdvana).

Comment

NVidia is cancer. Sold my last ever Nvidia card, 1080Ti to a friend crypto miner who has his own 250kW power plant. He will be happy mining. I will be happy without nVidia card. Good bye nVidia 👋

Comment

I hate it, we should just boycott and go elite.. you want use Nvidia: go fuck yourself and enjoy Windows!
              Is it your only way to play videogames, go fuck yourself and play monopoly instead... jeez such a waste of time and efforts, can't stand it, like the wanker that want to run Linux on the new M1 Macs. And Apple, fuck you too

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave

You can't use Wayland you bloody idiot
                Oh no, looks like I get to miss out on the fun of the software-accelerated cursor and losing everything when the DE decides to crash (GNOME).

Maybe in a decade when GNOME finally gets the cursor on its own thread properly... like it's been on Xorg for years, Wayland might be worth using. I'm not convinced any other DE or WM is usable in Wayland to bother with, yet anyway. But guess what? Xorg works great still
                Last edited by Guest; 15 January 2021, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                  But guess what? Xorg works great still
                  enjoy blowing your cursor mate

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave

You can't use Wayland you bloody idiot
                    Respectfully I disagree with the classification assigned to me here due to my non-use of what is at best a beta level piece of software. Thank you though for your concern. I use Linux in a production business environment. I require stability over shiny new things that people are having fun with.

Nvidia is actively working very hard to support Wayland: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...L-VLK-XWayland

I am sure full Nvidia Wayland will be supported... and then Wayland will have hit a very significant milestone.

There is no need to resort to the childlike posturing, put Wayland or Xorg in front of pretty much any common computer user and they will have no clue the difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X