Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another NVIDIA Engineer Just Made His First Contribution To Mesa

Phoronix: Another NVIDIA Engineer Just Made His First Contribution To Mesa

Another NVIDIA engineer has made his first contribution to Mesa in the rather interesting focus of fixing up Volta so atomic operations will work with OpenCL SVM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

NVIDIA-PRO driver incoming!

(Akin to AMDGPU-PRO, so open-source kernel driver getting upstreamed + closed-source user-space driver with all the juicy proprietary bits; with the option to use MESA's 'nouveau' driver alternatively - just so everyone can see for themselves just how superior nVidia's PRO driver really is...)

Comment

I wonder if internally all these commits need to be "cleared" from a legal perspective before submitting which would delay the process

Comment

We are still waiting for their big open source announcement they were talking about some time ago.

Comment

phoronix
          ​​​​​​​"NVIDIA contributions to NVIDIA are rare"

You surely mean to mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
            NVIDIA-PRO driver incoming!

(Akin to AMDGPU-PRO, so open-source kernel driver getting upstreamed + closed-source user-space driver with all the juicy proprietary bits; with the option to use MESA's 'nouveau' driver alternatively - just so everyone can see for themselves just how superior nVidia's PRO driver really is...)
            It would be great to be honest, alas not holding my breath.

I appreciate any open contribution they make though.

Comment

Maybe Nvidia realizes that AMD's performance is much more competitive and doing this is maybe enough to prevent their customers from switching too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
                I wonder if internally all these commits need to be "cleared" from a legal perspective before submitting which would delay the process
                If they are from new hires, they could potentially keep them from interacting with the old world and systems that would have IP related dificulties. It depends on what their purpose is.

Comment

Poor Volta.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

If they are from new hires, they could potentially keep them from interacting with the old world and systems that would have IP related dificulties. It depends on what their purpose is.
                    Agreed, it wouldn't surprise me if there are legal hurdles but basically if NVidia hires a new team/members that don't interact with the old driver team its a lot easier to provide that it was a clean room implementation/contribution.

Comment

Working...
                    X