Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another NVIDIA Engineer Just Made His First Contribution To Mesa

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another NVIDIA Engineer Just Made His First Contribution To Mesa

    Phoronix: Another NVIDIA Engineer Just Made His First Contribution To Mesa

    Another NVIDIA engineer has made his first contribution to Mesa in the rather interesting focus of fixing up Volta so atomic operations will work with OpenCL SVM...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...a-Volta-CL-SVM

  • #2
    NVIDIA-PRO driver incoming!

    (Akin to AMDGPU-PRO, so open-source kernel driver getting upstreamed + closed-source user-space driver with all the juicy proprietary bits; with the option to use MESA's 'nouveau' driver alternatively - just so everyone can see for themselves just how superior nVidia's PRO driver really is...)

    Comment


    • #3
      I wonder if internally all these commits need to be "cleared" from a legal perspective before submitting which would delay the process

      Comment


      • #4
        We are still waiting for their big open source announcement they were talking about some time ago.

        Comment


        • #5
          phoronix
          ​​​​​​​"NVIDIA contributions to NVIDIA are rare"

          You surely mean to mesa?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
            NVIDIA-PRO driver incoming!

            (Akin to AMDGPU-PRO, so open-source kernel driver getting upstreamed + closed-source user-space driver with all the juicy proprietary bits; with the option to use MESA's 'nouveau' driver alternatively - just so everyone can see for themselves just how superior nVidia's PRO driver really is...)
            It would be great to be honest, alas not holding my breath.

            I appreciate any open contribution they make though.

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe Nvidia realizes that AMD's performance is much more competitive and doing this is maybe enough to prevent their customers from switching too quickly.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
                I wonder if internally all these commits need to be "cleared" from a legal perspective before submitting which would delay the process
                If they are from new hires, they could potentially keep them from interacting with the old world and systems that would have IP related dificulties. It depends on what their purpose is.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Poor Volta.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by You- View Post

                    If they are from new hires, they could potentially keep them from interacting with the old world and systems that would have IP related dificulties. It depends on what their purpose is.
                    Agreed, it wouldn't surprise me if there are legal hurdles but basically if NVidia hires a new team/members that don't interact with the old driver team its a lot easier to provide that it was a clean room implementation/contribution.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X