Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Sees Fix To Properly Handle Mini DP Connectors - Avoids GNOME Mutter Crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Sees Fix To Properly Handle Mini DP Connectors - Avoids GNOME Mutter Crashing

Phoronix: Nouveau Sees Fix To Properly Handle Mini DP Connectors - Avoids GNOME Mutter Crashing

The open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" driver in Linux 5.11 didn't see any exciting features but there is now a patch pending for this DRM driver so it will at least handle mini DisplayPort connections properly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some additons: we had fallback detection code which usually works out great, unless your mDP port is exposed via USB-C and that's where the issue was found. Plain mDP ports should "just work" even without this patch.

Comment

Nouveau is like Internet Explorer - you have to use it before you get real browser. Nouveau is kinda the same, you use it to display image before you get your proper driver. Shame on NVidia really, no fault of poor Nouveau coders here. I am glad I've switched finally to Radeon 5700 XT and open source drivers. I'm never coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
        Nouveau is like Internet Explorer - you have to use it before you get real browser. Nouveau is kinda the same, you use it to display image before you get your proper driver. Shame on NVidia really, no fault of poor Nouveau coders here. I am glad I've switched finally to Radeon 5700 XT and open source drivers. I'm never coming back.
        I agree, the non free driver is good and some years ago the only good drivers was nvidia but today is not case, even if AMD delay a lot of features because of lack of poeple in linux. My next laptop it will be a amd apu with navi until them I will continue with this optimus laptop because I like to casual gaming and the laptop is in good shape yet with a nvidia 1050, I hope in the end of next year I change to something with amd or intel igpu or hybrid who have enought power to play some games like dota 2 or CS in fhd and complety open, I'm not a fanboy I don0t care if it will be intel or amd, but I built a desktop in the office with a AMD ryzen and one 5700xt and works very well with Linux and windows vms

Comment

I feel like mutter should be fixed to deal with multiple eDP displays if that was indeed the issue; that seems like a viable configuration on at least embedded platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            I feel like mutter should be fixed to deal with multiple eDP displays if that was indeed the issue; that seems like a viable configuration on at least embedded platforms.
            Fixed a month ago: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1607

Comment

Working...
            X