Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Engineer Sends Out Patches For Supporting Sync FDs + Sync Objects With Nouveau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Engineer Sends Out Patches For Supporting Sync FDs + Sync Objects With Nouveau

Phoronix: NVIDIA Engineer Sends Out Patches For Supporting Sync FDs + Sync Objects With Nouveau

Longtime NVIDIA engineer Thierry Reding who has been involved with the open-source Nouveau driver efforts largely from an embedded/mobile Tegra angle last week sent out the newest patch series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i hope this will be (rare example of nvidia work which is)of some help to desktop nouveau

Comment

Thank you for the work done to improve Nouveau, even if it's not focused on desktop.

For a community that's so vocal about nvidia and proprietary being "bad", it seems awful quiet when they make improvements to the open source drivers.

Comment

Hello,

being involved in android-x86 project, we're having nasty issues with nouveau because Android GUI uses Multiple Threads and nouveau is affected by GPU lockups in that scenario.
        Does some kind person in the forum know if the patches in the kernel and the companion ones in libdrm and mesa may help to solve the historical problem of nouveau with Multithreading?

Thanks

Mauro

Comment

maurossi I don't remember every nouveau developer account here, so I will tag them, you could ask Michael too

imirkin
          MuPuF
          karolherbst
          I believe Skeggs have an account here too

Comment

After years of owning Nvidia GPUs, and suffering through poor Linux desktop experience with both the unstable and under-performing nouveau driver and binary nvidia blob, I ditched all Nvidia hardware and bought AMD. Suddenly everything Linux desktop is great, stable and fast. AMD has come a long way with their Linux drivers. I was pleasantly surprised, perhaps lucky in choice of AMD card. My point really only is this: the middle finger from Linus is still valid to this day. Nvidia proprietary drivers are bloated and suck for normal desktop usage (laggy/jittery gnome-shell experience, tearing, poor OS integration, suspend/resume failures). And good luck with nouveau.

Comment

Working...
            X