No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 450.51 Linux Driver Beta Adds NGX Library, PRIME Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this beta add support for Linux 5.7? With 5.6 going EOL the latest supported kernel release that's also supported by nvidia had jumped back to 5.4.

Hopefully we'll see a stable driver supporting 5.7 soon.
    Last edited by aphysically; 24 June 2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

Considering I see AMD GPU users with problems a lot, that knife cuts both ways lol.

About 98% of the time Nvidia works fine for me. Naturally its when big changes are made such as with the open source improvements for 5.6 kernels is where it gets dicey but that's no different for AMD.
      Well, you are omitting (willingly?) the main difference and the root of the issue:

1.) No one is claiming that X driver is better because it never fails because that would be an lie and stupid.
      2.) No one is implying X driver works and Y driver does not. again that is way too generalized to be real

The main issue here is:
      1.) Sure AMD have issues too sometimes BUT i can go and debug it myself and fix it or if it is beyond the scope of my skills report it and expect fairly soon a fix, while on BLOB you are out of luck until the vendor feels like fixing it or you need to start playing driver jenga, check how many closed and open issues on DXVK/wine/etc. exist where in the same game each driver version present a different bug(in some cases is an nVidia play out of the standard not really a bug) and you have to peek the one weirdness you can live with.

2.) With FOSS drivers i'm decently sure what is running in my system security wise, with BLOBs i'm rolling a dice security wise since nVidia is completely reluctant to talk about it(i guess outside few government clients) and trust me i know many data center people that if tomorrow a FOSS driver will work with CUDA(or modern OpenCL) they will throw every nVidia piece of hardware they have into ebay the next day(for them is a real latent issue and a headache)

3.) Outside gaming(maybe maybe not, not sure) BLOB driver are extremely stiff to work with and put a break on innovation simply because you have to convince nVidia to support your idea first, with a FOSS driver you are in control and have the flexibility to implement new paradigms.

The point we have is, for people that use GPU outside of pure gaming(and the moar FPS crowd) the current nVidia driver system is a huge headache and a very difficult thing to work with, sure those moar FPSers seeing that 2080TI breaking youtube records the driver is fine (as long as your games are not affected by the bugs and issues) but for everyone else working on make those game work(dxvk, d3vk, wine, proton, etc. devs), compute devs, etc. you won't see many happy references or satisfied customers because the driver really really gets in your way making your work even harder while there is absolutely nothing you can do except mark everything again and again as "not my bug, won't fix" wait for the next nVidia driver.

Be aware i admit the FOSS system have its downsides as well, I'm just saying they are easier to live with depending on which side of the fence you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
        i hope they add wayland support someday
        Yes, it is called Nouveau.

Comment

This looks like quite a big release for laptop owners, at least if you have an intel iGPU.
          Reverse prime is now supported. Also, the (optional) shutdown of video ram when a Turing card is powered down ... does this mean a suspended Turing card in hybrid mode is now running at the same low power level as Windows? What does the reference to AMD mean ... is AMD iGPU now supported like intel?

Comment

Originally posted by aphysically View Post
            Does this beta add support for Linux 5.7?
            It does not look like they applied the patch on this beta: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...7-patch/125815
            But unless you're packaging Nvidia drivers or want to build your own, you probably don't care, as the maintainer will take care of that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Well, you are omitting (willingly?) the main difference and the root of the issue:

1.) No one is claiming that X driver is better because it never fails because that would be an lie and stupid.
              2.) No one is implying X driver works and Y driver does not. again that is way too generalized to be real

The main issue here is:
              1.) Sure AMD have issues too sometimes BUT i can go and debug it myself and fix it or if it is beyond the scope of my skills report it and expect fairly soon a fix, while on BLOB you are out of luck until the vendor feels like fixing it or you need to start playing driver jenga, check how many closed and open issues on DXVK/wine/etc. exist where in the same game each driver version present a different bug(in some cases is an nVidia play out of the standard not really a bug) and you have to peek the one weirdness you can live with.

2.) With FOSS drivers i'm decently sure what is running in my system security wise, with BLOBs i'm rolling a dice security wise since nVidia is completely reluctant to talk about it(i guess outside few government clients) and trust me i know many data center people that if tomorrow a FOSS driver will work with CUDA(or modern OpenCL) they will throw every nVidia piece of hardware they have into ebay the next day(for them is a real latent issue and a headache)

3.) Outside gaming(maybe maybe not, not sure) BLOB driver are extremely stiff to work with and put a break on innovation simply because you have to convince nVidia to support your idea first, with a FOSS driver you are in control and have the flexibility to implement new paradigms.

The point we have is, for people that use GPU outside of pure gaming(and the moar FPS crowd) the current nVidia driver system is a huge headache and a very difficult thing to work with, sure those moar FPSers seeing that 2080TI breaking youtube records the driver is fine (as long as your games are not affected by the bugs and issues) but for everyone else working on make those game work(dxvk, d3vk, wine, proton, etc. devs), compute devs, etc. you won't see many happy references or satisfied customers because the driver really really gets in your way making your work even harder while there is absolutely nothing you can do except mark everything again and again as "not my bug, won't fix" wait for the next nVidia driver.

Be aware i admit the FOSS system have its downsides as well, I'm just saying they are easier to live with depending on which side of the fence you are.
              I agree that there are situations where Nvidia would be a pain same as AMD proprietary. But, Mesa works on Nvidia as well. Sure its not in the shape AMD's is in but it works.

I just don't see the point in getting worked up about it. Suppose in your specific situation it would be annoying and maybe frustrating to deal with Nvidia but that isn't going to be an issue for most of the population of this world. For most of us Nvidia's way works great. Most people just won't ever be doing the stuff you wrote.
              Last edited by ix900; 24 June 2020, 08:54 PM.

Comment

nginx! Sue NVIDIA! They stole your name!

Comment

Hey guys, I have an issue with a Quadro K610M running driver 440.82 where in KDE Plasma 5.19.2 on Xorg 1.20.8 if I have a glxgears window open, resizing apps (and Chrome especially) becomes REALLY slow. Its like the GPU stalls for small periods. Same happens when I move a window to any of the edges of the screen and that tiling overlay is rendered. It pauses for a few 100ms. As if some kind of operation is taking really long and stops other GPU commands from processing too, since the whole screen will just pause for a moment. Is there anything I can do about that? When I close glxgears, resizing is super smooth again (well, mostly).

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                    Thank you Nvidia for continuously providing high quality drivers to the linux community.
                    Unfortunatelly there are some "antifa" in the linux community who refuse to work with all those who dont meet their ideological puritanism or gives in to their political demands.
                    Found the retarded Trump-supporter.
                    Antifa? Really? How in the everloving fuck is that relevant?
                    What does this have to do with fascism, and the scattered unorganised movement against it?

Jesus christ, just make your points like an adult.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post

Found the retarded Trump-supporter.
                      Antifa? Really? How in the everloving fuck is that relevant?
                      What does this have to do with fascism, and the scattered unorganised movement against it?

Jesus christ, just make your points like an adult.
                      Nobody makes point like an adult in Nvidia threads. Please behave yourself and stop being resonable.

Comment

Working...
                      X