NVIDIA 450.51 Linux Driver Beta Adds NGX Library, PRIME Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 450.51 Linux Driver Beta Adds NGX Library, PRIME Improvements

Phoronix: NVIDIA 450.51 Linux Driver Beta Adds NGX Library, PRIME Improvements

Earlier this month a NVIDIA 450 Linux beta driver popped out as part of the CUDA 11.0 release candidate. Today though is the first public and generally available NVIDIA 450 series Linux driver beta for all users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you Nvidia for continuously providing high quality drivers to the linux community.
    Unfortunatelly there are some "antifa" in the linux community who refuse to work with all those who dont meet their ideological puritanism or gives in to their political demands.
    Last edited by 240Hz; 24 June 2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
      X>Org
      Typo!

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
        Thank you Nvidia for continuously providing high quality drivers to the linux community.
        Unfortunatelly there are some "antifa" in the linux community who refuse to work with all those who dont meet their ideological puritanism or gives in to their political demands.
        Honestly speaking i think we all agree that nVidia do provide decent performant drivers but the beef of many are quite justified as well:

1.) Closed drivers are a pain in the ass because they are unfixable and in many cases extremely hard to debug also require more complicated build systems.
        2.) Closed drivers are a huge security risk, specially nVidia's huge black box kernel part.
        3.) nVidia drivers tend to forget (intentionally?) standards and have a tendency of trying to brute force their non standard implementations.
        4.) nVidia as a business has been very shady(mostly in the windows world) in the past and is healthy to stay on edge with them in case they try on Linux as well
        5.) They refuse to properly do modern OpenCL to tie devs to their products with CUDA.

Sure, if you are in the Moar FPS crowd and don't care about anything other than having FPS, sure their drivers tend to be quite good at that but AMD FOSS driver also do that quite well outside the top tier GPU class which make it a superior driver for all of us that care a bit more outside of FPPPSSSSSS.

In the compute side, sadly i agree CUDA is the only option until AMD/INTEL finally drop beignet/Rocm mess and join forces to do NIR OpenCL properly

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
          Yeah, weirdos like Linus Torwalds. They destroy Linux!

I assume you are willing to do more than saying "Thank you" and shoulder some of the extra work necessary to support NVidia drivers? Small hint: it's a *lot*.
          Last edited by treba; 24 June 2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Nice. Looking forward to when this lands in the ubuntu 20.04 repos.

Comment

So when I run Gnome Wayland on the Nvidia blob (I believe it uses eglstreams).. will xwayland finally have glx acceleration now?

E.g. can I run X11 OpenGL (glx) applications under Wayland with eglstreams?

Comment

i hope they add wayland support someday

Comment

Have installed it and: Wow, triple buffering still doesn't work when being GPU bound and frame rate is below refresh rate, despite of explicitly forcing backbuffer count of 3 in DXVK. That's really pathetic, Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Yeah, weirdos like Linus Torwalds. They destroy Linux!

I assume you are willing to do more than saying "Thank you" and shoulder some of the extra work necessary to support NVidia drivers? Small hint: it's a *lot*.
                    Considering I see AMD GPU users with problems a lot, that knife cuts both ways lol.

About 98% of the time Nvidia works fine for me. Naturally its when big changes are made such as with the open source improvements for 5.6 kernels is where it gets dicey but that's no different for AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X