No announcement yet.

Open-Source NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2000 "Turing" 3D Driver Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so.. tested Tomb Raider and it works "fine" here.. a little slow, but the benchmark runs. Even on Ultra it runs without any glitches.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Amusing theatrics, but not everyone uses their laptop and PC for 3D graphics even when they have an Nvidia GPU inside. The Open Source driver is still very much needed and is far from being a sad, lost cause.
      Actually I did not see any laptops with 1xxx or 2xxx series that have NVIDIA but don't have integrated GPU. So you can just blacklist nouveau and not install proprietary driver if you are not using it.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        Who ever uses nouveau intentionally? It's so slow, even for basic 2D rendering. It's unbearable. Like dragging a window from one point to the other takes 10 seconds.
        I've used it intentionally on an older card (8400GS Gen2). It worked and performed just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
          Actually I did not see any laptops with 1xxx or 2xxx series that have NVIDIA but don't have integrated GPU. So you can just blacklist nouveau and not install proprietary driver if you are not using it.
          and what about external displays? Not all laptops use the intel GPU for that.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            over the outined lack of re-clocking support

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Many of users gave up on it years ago and that's it.
              Some things can be changed while other can't, like shitty companies where money is their only goal, not caring about the users even a bit.
              Well, AMD is also a company that wants to make money. But they have a different strategy and know, that community support is half of what makes their hardware viable, as they are so small that they can't take on the behemoths. Still, as the community devs create more and better tools, suddenly AMD hardware becomes competitive while costing less. AMD just needs to get their stuff together and get their CUDA-translation layer prepped for wide adoption. But I fear that battle is lost on the datacenter front. They may grab a small private farm, a student or single Workstations purpose build for a project - but Nvidia has the datacenter firm in its iron fist.

Anyway, for games, I can see AMD beating Nvidia on Linux (esp with big Navi and when all of those optimizations for the new µArch can be squeezed out, like the 2 command scheduling thingies [forgot how they are called]).

As of such, screw Nvidia and lets hope big Navi delivers - so we can move on.

Comment

Even though I wouldn't buy any nvidia hardware anymore I consider the nouveau project as important. Reclocking doesn't work, but at least there is an open source driver. And who knows, maybe at some point somebody finds a creative solution to get around nvidia's limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
                  As of such, screw Nvidia and lets hope big Navi delivers - so we can move on.
                  I would be oh so pleased, if the bog standard Navi support would finally deliver at all.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                    And who knows, maybe at some point somebody finds a creative solution to get around nvidia's limitations.
                    Or maybe Nvidia could just release the damn firmware once the GPUs reach a certain age. If they put Maxwell firmware out, is there going to be a huge counterfeit market tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      If they put Maxwell firmware out, is there going to be a huge counterfeit market tomorrow?
                      You know this is a red herring, right? NVIDIA simply doesn't care about open source and will thwart any efforts outside their control.

Fucking hell, we're in the age of information. Any "counterfeited" GPU would be quickly spotted and warnings would be all over the place in a matter of hours. Besides, there's literally zero risk of buying a fake card from a reputable retailer.

Comment

Working...
                      X