NVIDIA Posts Firmware Needed For Open-Source GeForce 16 Series Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Posts Firmware Needed For Open-Source GeForce 16 Series Acceleration

Phoronix: NVIDIA Posts Firmware Needed For Open-Source GeForce 16 Series Acceleration

As written about last week, in the works for the Linux 5.7 kernel this spring is open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" acceleration for the GeForce 16 series. That code is currently sitting in the Nouveau development tree until landing in DRM-Next for Linux 5.7, but NVIDIA has now posted the necessary firmware binaries needed for enabling the hardware acceleration on these Turing GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

They've got to work hard to keep that top spot. "We're number 1! We're number 1!"

Comment

About time. Only 2 days short of a year after the hardware was made publicly available.
        Meanwhile, their key competitors release fully working Linux drivers without missing bits and pieces (something Nvidia still hasn't done even for decades-old cards) ahead of the hardware release.
        Boycott N(azi)VIDIA!

Comment

It's like getting a car engine but no transmission: it's just hoisting off something so they don't have to store it themselves.

nVidia: get with the program already.

Comment

In other news - Nvidia are still being jerks.

Comment

This crap is a large part of why I bought AMD this build.. given, the RX 5700XT isn't much over the GTX 1080 I was using, I wanted Linux as my daily driver on a new desktop.

It hasn't been without pain though. At least since Pop 19.10 and bumping through the 5.5 kennels has been pretty good. But when I first night the hardware, it was painful to say the least.

Comment

I really don't understand why they'd release firmware for hardware acceleration but without the bits required to get the card in a higher performance state?

Is there no way around the PMU firmware?
                E.g. it cannot be extracted from the binary blob or something?

​​​​​​It's like Nvidia is afraid the mesa drivers will get to a point where it's good enough so people won't be bothered to install their blob?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                  I really don't understand why they'd release firmware for hardware acceleration but without the bits required to get the card in a higher performance state?

Is there no way around the PMU firmware?
                  E.g. it cannot be extracted from the binary blob or something?

​​​​​​It's like Nvidia is afraid the mesa drivers will get to a point where it's good enough so people won't be bothered to install their blob?
                  they are afraid that mesa drivers will get to the point there will be no reason to abide by nvidia's restrictive licence, when it comes to GPU clusters and people will run them on any GPUs, disregarding nvidia's restrictions.

nowadays nvidia controls their market via the license agreement for their driver. they decide what you can run in GPU cluster, they phase out support, etc. making a competitive opensource driver is against their business model.
                  Last edited by yoshi314; 20 February 2020, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                    So the marketing team can say they have some open source bits when in reality nothing useful/usable has been exposed.

Comment

Working...
                    X