Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Still Pushing Forward In 2020 Thanks To Red Hat But Community Developers Leaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
    I suppose the question is why reproduce the wheel? Nvidia has an awesome corporate driver developed in house and with very good support for their hardware. Its closed source ... so what its awesome how well it works!
    Did you know that if there was no Nouveau driver, when you install a Linux distribution on hardware with Nvidia graphics, you would get a black screen? Maybe with the words "your video card is not supported"? Because if there is a minimum of support for Nvidia graphics we owe it to the Nouveau driver.

Comment

It's a waste of time. AMDGPU is more than enough for us ATM.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
        I agree with you but there's a bunch of Linux cry babies that will get very argumentative on that topic that everything has to be open source. I feel that the proprietary driver should be used by default on installation. It works far better. I've never had great times with Nouveau and switch out immediately anymore as games don't work well with it.

All they need to do is switch that to default and add make it easier to switch and install driver versions. Currently, these two things are still horrible with the way they are done. If they have two driver versions available a stable and the latest they can easily switch back to the stable if the latest has a problem.

Linux needs to improve. Nouveau also must improve and keep up with the latest proprietary driver or it should be removed. Anything else is holding Linux back.
        I mostly agree, except for Nouveau being removed if it cant keep up: Its really the only choice for old cards. NVidia clearly wont step up there, and it should provide enough support for old stuff.

Comment

Actually pretty sure Nvidia was doing drivers long before Nouveau. That being said, absolutely if someone wants to make an open source driver go for it! Keep in mind though that the company that produces the hardware has absolutely no requirement or reason to support said open source initiative. If another company (say AMD/ATI) do choose to support an open source initiative for their hardware, then good for them. That is awesome... but again it does not affect whether Nvidia should support such an initiative.

Nvidia produces hardware and the software to drive it. Enjoy the fact that it works so well! I love Linux, I love open source... but I have no qualms with a company that does not wish to FOSS their drivers... especially if said company does such an awesome job supporting their hardware.

Aside from that I think we should have laws that automatically force the open sourcing of all abandonware.
          The development model of the Linux kernel is that driver work is done in the kernel. If you don't like that, don't support (or claim to support) Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

I mostly agree, except for Nouveau being removed if it cant keep up: Its really the only choice for old cards. NVidia clearly wont step up there, and it should provide enough support for old stuff.
            Without Nouveau you wouldn't even get an output on a stock Linux install.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
              there's a bunch of Linux cry babies that will get very argumentative on that topic that everything has to be open source.
              I love when most proNvidia comments are just talking about "bad community which wants everything to be open source!".

What about most Wayland desktops? Full KMS support? PRIME offload which we got recently after years later from introducing Optimus technology? What about license forbidding usage of "desktop cards in professional work"? What about peoples who just want to make their desktop works (without games or all professional stuff) without installing additional drivers?

Nvidia doing great drivers in terms of performance or reliability, but reducing all advantages of open source to just "being open source" is not correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Without Nouveau you wouldn't even get an output on a stock Linux install.
                Actually nvidia cards are VGA compliant. You will always be able to get some level of output due to VESA/VGA compliance. Its the same as installing windows. Windows does not ship with any Nvidia (or AMD for that matter) drivers. You still get to the very basic res desktop after install due to VGA compliance. After that you install the proprietary driver and then windows can use the full hardware capability.

Linux can actually do the above. In fact you can use the card without any driver as strictly a character terminal... but you may get questions about why your have an Nvidia 2080 TI accelerated terminal

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Because it's supposed to be free software.

Nvidia is the one re-inventing the wheel.
                  This is an amusing statement. Linux itself is a reinvention of the wheel all the way from the kernel (wheel and axles) to userspace (the rest of the cart). That's the entire intent. Reimplement a Unix-like environment for educational and practical purposes. That makes all arguments about "don't reinvent..." when it applies to most free software hypocritical at best, since there's very little in the FLOSS realm that isn't a reimplementation or reimagining of what's already been implemented by vendors.

The reason Nouveau exists as a driver suite is to implement driver functionality in a way people can see how it works in the broad daylight (GPL) versus a black box no one outside of Nvidia can review without an NDA.

Comment

Britoid are you sure? ive notice that after disabling nouveau i can still see the text console.
                    if that text console works then they can always make an option to allow you to download the driver or install it from usb (floppy lol).
                    installers can be made also in text mode.

i also don't agree with this stupid mentality that everything has to be free. after all people spend a lot of time to make something. if some decides to make a free software/service that doesn't mean that everybody has to do the same just to satisfy others selfness (if thats the word)

Comment

Actually nvidia cards are VGA compliant. You will always be able to get some level of output due to VESA/VGA compliance. Its the same as installing windows. Windows does not ship with any Nvidia (or AMD for that matter) drivers. You still get to the very basic res desktop after install due to VGA compliance. After that you install the proprietary driver and then windows can use the full hardware capability.

Linux can actually do the above. In fact you can use the card without any driver as strictly a character terminal... but you may get questions about why your have an Nvidia 2080 TI accelerated terminal
                      Have you tried using a GPU-accelerated desktop on LLVMPIPE?

Comment

Working...
                      X