Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Still Pushing Forward In 2020 Thanks To Red Hat But Community Developers Leaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danielsan
    replied
    I look forward to Nouveau able to handle decent HW acceleration on Maxwell, I don't care about game FPS, but at least a bit of power in Blender.
    Eventually this stupid game by Nvidia will it cost they a lot! The day that AMD or Intel will do more powerful GPU than the Nvidia ones, suddenly Nvidia will be ten years in delay.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by xinorom View Post
    Originally posted by DanL
    See above (and lay off the Caps Lock).
    DanL strikes again, with his cutting wit.
    Yep, and I wasn't even trying to be witty there. Is there another way I could have phrased that so that dimwits like yourself could understand better?

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    Really cool stats.
    Yeah, I will try to dig up how large the pool is before I get too excited. Hopefully it isn't based on ~10 users who just happen to enable the "package analytics" .
    A bit like Debian's popcon, it is fantastic in principle but us *nix folk tend to default to "off" when it comes to this stuff haha.

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    The only people supporting the development & integration of the NVIDIA blob are: (in order of care)
    I think you are right. The only slightly weird anomaly I see is the FreeBSD port of their blob. I have no idea why it still exists.
    Don't get me wrong, it is unfortunately extremely useful because we have no Nouveau, the blob is pretty much the only solution we have for NVIDIA hardware. So begrudgingly I have to say that I am glad it is around (until we can make progress with Nouveau)

But I just don't understand why NVIDIA is providing it to us. What benefit is it to them? Is it perhaps an easy port from the Solaris build? Is there some heretic in the NVIDIA development department who is doing it as a labor of love? haha

One thing is for sure, I can honestly see it disappear within the next few years.

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    I find this very interesting:

It shows that NVIDIA only has 30% of the marketshare. Nouveau is almost half 12.8%. The rest is AMD and (mostly) Intel.

Is this a viable source of data? This is quite incredible. Why does anyone even bother to write support for the binary NVIDIA blob? Barely anyone is using it.
    Really cool stats.

As for your question: my guess is:

The only people supporting the development & integration of the NVIDIA blob are: (in order of care)
    • NVIDIA
    • The user-friendly-focused distros (e.g. Ubuntu & Mint)
    • Devs who actually explicitly want to support NVIDIA (e.g. because they need Cuda support or because they are working for a hardware company that doesn't care about Open Source philosophy & culture and opted to include an NVIDIA card in their product 'cos it was fastest).
    • Devs who get bug reports from their users related to the NVIDIA blob and don't mind throwing in simple fixes, because they care about their users.
    I think those are the main motivators behind it.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    I find this very interesting:

It shows that NVIDIA only has 30% of the marketshare. Nouveau is almost half 12.8%. The rest is AMD and (mostly) Intel.

Is this a viable source of data? This is quite incredible. Why does anyone even bother to write support for the binary NVIDIA blob? Barely anyone is using it.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerx View Post
    Well, I might jump ship for AMD (open sourced well supported GPU) on my next graphics card purchase, if all future NVidia cards are crippled. Only problem, I'll have to migrate everything to EFI, as AMD card drivers specifically rely upon EFI/EUFI instead of MBR, else the drivers fail installing/working.
    Really? Which driver? I really doubt this because it seems to make little sense and also that I used to have CSM boot on my desktop until I converted it and it was using RX 460 at the time.

Leave a comment:

• rogerx
    replied
    Well, I might jump ship for AMD (open sourced well supported GPU) on my next graphics card purchase, if all future NVidia cards are crippled. Only problem, I'll have to migrate everything to EFI, as AMD card drivers specifically rely upon EFI/EUFI instead of MBR, else the drivers fail installing/working.

Leave a comment:

• xinorom
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    DanLobotomy strikes again, with his cutting wit.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
    Similar deal with 9, except I got it working in less than a week... and finally managed to dig up the magic commands to tell DKMS that a new version had been installed, and that it needed to do its thing.
    Since when did this become magic?:
    Code:
    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms
    Because APPARENTLY we can't even do THAT automatically.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
    Not sure why you have had those sorts of experiences with Linux. I know I can't reproduce your claims on the systems where I run the Nvidia blob.
    You don't have to advertise to people that you are willfully ignorant and stupid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X