No announcement yet.

There Is Finally Open-Source Accelerated NVIDIA Turing Graphics Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the hostility and laziness of NVidia towards OpenSource developers is disgusting. Will never choose their products. Vote with your wallet, ...!

Comment

I'm glad someone is trying hard to do the work Nvidia should be doing themselves.

I guess this might be useful for some people with work machines or laptops that happen to have these crappy GPUs.

Comment

I can only translate this to that the next nvidia architecture should be pretty close if they release the firmware for Turing.

Comment

So they're waiting until like 6 months before they start dropping their new 3000 series cards and then finally release the firmware binaries for unlocking the 3d capabilities of the 2000 series??

What I do not understand is that they don't release the PMU firmware for reclocking support though.

It's like they purposely don't want the opensource driver to run games at acceptable speeds.
          Like they're afraid people will no longer download their blob once distro's will have out of the box 3d acceleration.

Weird..

Comment

What is wrong with them? I don't understand the reluctance. I certainly will never give them money until they reform and treat their users with some respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              I can only translate this to that the next nvidia architecture should be pretty close if they release the firmware for Turing.
              Ampere rumored to be announced in March.

Comment

Glad that I'm not a Nvidia user anymore.
                Good job AMD!

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
                  So, if I understand it correctly, all this does is help in First boot!! People will be able to first boot and then install proprietary drivers? Am I right ? Asking for a friend.
                  Yes, that's what this firmware allows. Display will work but card is stuck in "crap performance" mode.

Better than nothing but still meh

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    the hostility and laziness of NVidia towards OpenSource developers is disgusting. Will never choose their products. Vote with your wallet, ...!
                    Yep. People have voted to use Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Yep. People have voted to use Windows.
                      And there you have the wonderful binary option set of Win10+modern card or Win8.1+older cards (ca 290x tops). Because Win7 is EOL and AMD has stopped providing drivers for 8.1 despite it being supported by MS until 2023.
                      More or less same with Nvidia. RTX-series is Win10-only.

Edit: actually, when using 8.1, you can download W7 x64 driver and it works on 8.1 just fine. Even bit more performant than either W7 or W10. Including newer cards.
                      Last edited by aht0; 18 January 2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X