There Is Finally Open-Source Accelerated NVIDIA Turing Graphics Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Is Finally Open-Source Accelerated NVIDIA Turing Graphics Support

Phoronix: There Is Finally Open-Source Accelerated NVIDIA Turing Graphics Support

Here is another big feature coming for Linux 5.6: the Nouveau driver will have initial accelerated support for NVIDIA "Turing" GPUs! This is coming at long-last with NVIDIA set to release publicly the Turing firmware images needed for hardware initialization...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Taking this long to release the firmware is disgusting.

Putting performance and advanced features aside, it actually allows the card to be remotely usable on a freshly installed distro.

Comment

Enough for accelerated desktop compositing etc. but that is probably it. This will never meet the expectations of people who decided to buy such a beefy GPU.

Comment

If it's the firmware that was released, shouldn't that mean working reclocking support, and therefore decent performance?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          If it's the firmware that was released, shouldn't that mean working reclocking support, and therefore decent performance?
          Nope, that is needing some special PMU firmware... This is the other signed firmware just as has been the case for Maxwell2 / Pascal / Volta.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'd have the same question. Given these things work I'd be pretty excited to see how well Mesa performs nowadays on NVidia. With the generally shared gallium+nir stuff it should be possible for the nouveau devs to somewhat catch up to the others, no?

Edit: ah, so NVidia still won't release the firmware needed for reclocking...in that case, is there anything to be excited about? Starting up a freshly installed distribution already worked before via LLVMpipe (although GS < 3.34.2 had some terrible performance issues which got fixed by shadowfb usage).
            Last edited by treba; 15 January 2020, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

I'd have the same question. Given these things work I'd be pretty excited to see how well Mesa performs nowadays on NVidia. With the generally shared gallium+nir stuff it should be possible for the nouveau devs to somewhat catch up to the others, no?
              See https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...eau-2019&num=1 with Turing there is no indication that the support will be any better but likely even worse proportionally until optimizations are made and then when re-clocking finally comes.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Nope, that is needing some special PMU firmware... This is the other signed firmware just as has been the case for Maxwell2 / Pascal / Volta.
                Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Comment

So, if I understand it correctly, all this does is help in First boot!! People will be able to first boot and then install proprietary drivers? Am I right ? Asking for a friend.

Comment

nope.

Comment

Working...
                    X