Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Sent Out Some Fresh Nouveau Patches Just Before Christmas

Phoronix: NVIDIA Sent Out Some Fresh Nouveau Patches Just Before Christmas

Shortly before Christmas were a couple open-source Nouveau driver patches volleyed by NVIDIA. Some of that work is now queuing in the Nouveau DRM tree ahead of the Linux 5.6 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why did NVIDIA block Nouveau driver in the first place and what could go wrong if they open source some basic info for open source driver to work in in full speed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      why did NVIDIA block Nouveau driver in the first place and what could go wrong if they open source some basic info for open source driver to work in in full speed ?
      They started clamping down on the firmware / signing it due to Chinese knockoffs / cards getting flashed and rebranded as being higher-tier GPUs than they actually were in resale channels.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        They started clamping down on the firmware / signing it due to Chinese knockoffs / cards getting flashed and rebranded as being higher-tier GPUs than they actually were in resale channels.
        Still the fact the firmware is signed does not mean they cannot provide firmware to allow open source drivers to work.

Comment

Huh... I had no idea that was the reason. Makes me wonder why Nvidia didn't just laser-cut the GPUs, but, I guess locking the firmware is an easier long-term solution.

Comment

I don't even know how can those cards work using a recent driver.
            They should be crashing at the unsupported instructions...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Huh... I had no idea that was the reason. Makes me wonder why Nvidia didn't just laser-cut the GPUs, but, I guess locking the firmware is an easier long-term solution.
              But if there is a firmware bug that only re-flashing will fix then it's not very helpful, such as the displayport port bug.......

A bug just came to our attention (via TechPowerUp) and it looks like some users might be experiencing problems related to the DisplayPort implementation of NVIDIA Pascal and Maxwell GPUs that will require a firmware update to fix. NVIDIA's DisplayPort bug surfaces for GeForce 10 series and 900 series, firmware update fix rolled out The […]

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                But if there is a firmware bug that only re-flashing will fix then it's not very helpful, such as the displayport port bug.......

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-releases...raphics-cards/
                Fair point, though obviously Nvidia isn't expecting there to be firmware bugs. On the other hand, to assume software can be perfect and therefore doesn't need a method to be updated is naive.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I don't even know how can those cards work using a recent driver.
                  They should be crashing at the unsupported instructions...
                  My understanding is that these would be cards from within the same family, such that they used the same instruction sets.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenk View Post

My understanding is that these would be cards from within the same family, such that they used the same instruction sets.
                    What about a Kepler chip posing as a Pascal one?

Comment

Working...
                    X