Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Open-Source NVIDIA/Nouveau vs. NVIDIA Linux Driver At The End Of 2019 - Poor But A Lot Of Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loganj
    replied
    nobody is forcing anybody to buy nvidia. why the hate? you don't like it go for amd. its cheapr and has everything you want. if i understand correctly there are some gpu on android phones/tablets that have no open source driver. but i don't recall the hate to exist there. does amd/nvidia advertise open source driver on their graphic cards?

Leave a comment:

• Kohrias
    replied
    I dont see the optimism as justified. nVidia just pulled a PR stunt earlier this year. I dont see any indication whatsoever of them open sourcing anything of relevance. I totally agree with Linus Torvalds here: fuck you nVidia!

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    It's not poor. It's the best they can do given the circumstances.

It actually is impressive they can do this.
    Poor in terms of usability, and comparative feature implementation. Not poor in terms of effort.

The only way this is going to change is if Nvidia decides to become an active participant in driver development beyond trying to push their API implementations into Wayland. That really depends on why they're so closed lipped compared to AMD's contributions. If it's licensing problems (remember what happened to 3Dfx), then it's understandable they've been holding back.

Leave a comment:

• moilami
    replied
    Nvidia what? That company has never existed in my life, and I don't believe it will begin to exist in my life during the next 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    It's not poor. It's the best they can do given the circumstances.

It actually is impressive they can do this.

Leave a comment:

• OneTimeShot
    replied
    I don’t get the optimism here. Why is it going to be different this time?

Leave a comment:

• atomsymbol
    replied
    Unless society starts treating asymmetry of information as a major issue when buying hardware (GPU cards) the situation isn't going to improve. The designers of the GPU's architecture have documentation needed to make use of the GPU, while the buyer of the GPU doesn't have access to such documentation. Selling hardware without providing access to detailed documentation enabling programmability of the hardware, especially GPUs, isn't considered shady.

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Originally posted by dweigert View Post
    Very likely that some software patents and IP have had their clock run out in 2019/2020 so they *Can* opensource things now. Nvidia was using a lot of SGI IP, and you can't give that away until the legal encumbrances have been taken care of.
    They should have a lot of patented IPs in a lot of their things since they practically never contributed to any linux kernel related opensource projects (ie: all the drivers have been somehow reversed engineered).

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    Charlie Brown, you're adorable.

Leave a comment:

• dweigert
    replied
    Very likely that some software patents and IP have had their clock run out in 2019/2020 so they *Can* opensource things now. Nvidia was using a lot of SGI IP, and you can't give that away until the legal encumbrances have been taken care of.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X