Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Launches Open-Source Video Processing Framework For Python

Phoronix: NVIDIA Launches Open-Source Video Processing Framework For Python

NVIDIA's "VideoProcessingFramework" is an open-source set of C++ libraries that are wrapped around by Python bindings for interacting with their closed-source Video Codec SDK. The function of this framework is to make it easy to exploit GPU-accelerated video encode/decode from Python...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I kind of like Python, but there are a couple of things I don't like about Python.
    • There is no async HTTP client in standard lib.
    • You have to put "self" as an argument to every method in a class.
    • The instance variables and static class variables is so confusing, I forget about it every month.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      [*]You have to put "self" as an argument to every method in a class.
      Nope self is only exist if you have a class and if it is not a static method or class method. Also the name of self can be replacable thus you write self in method arguments if you want you can write it as "this" so your instance method look like def abc(this): then you will code this.bar

Comment

Why do we need yet another Nvidia specific framework instead of just extending and wrapping VAAPI/VDPAU/OpenMAX?
        Nvidia just really doesn't want to rely on open standards
        AMD it is....

Comment

I would change the title to something like: "NVIDIA Launches a Python Wrapper For It's Closed Source Video Processing API"

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
            Why do we need yet another Nvidia specific framework instead of just extending and wrapping VAAPI/VDPAU/OpenMAX?
            AMD it is....
            Just another red herring....I would like to read the head line "Nvidia launches Open-Source Graphics Card driver". I really dislike the Quadro in my latest work laptop because of closed drivers -it was a pain to make it workable "tearfree". In contradiction on the same distro Ubuntu 19.10 plug and play with 5700 XT ...just added oibaf and thats it.

Could we just ignore Nvidia unless they will provide opensource drivers?
            Last edited by CochainComplex; 16 December 2019, 06:52 PM. Reason: typo i guess

Comment

Looks Nvidia only, so the fact that it's open source is of little value.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I kind of like Python, but there are a couple of things I don't like about Python.
                • There is no async HTTP client in standard lib.
                • You have to put "self" as an argument to every method in a class.
                • The instance variables and static class variables is so confusing, I forget about it every month.
                You forgot the GIL.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                  Wow that's completely unexpected. Really you need to calibrate your expectations a bit better.

Comment

Great name. Did they borrow the marketing team from Microsoft for this one?

Comment

Working...
                    X