No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Looks To Have Some Sort Of Open-Source Driver Announcement For 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I abandoned Nvidia precisely because of their stupid politics. If they finally realized that it is less expensive to keep an open source driver that already exists it is already a success. But I would wait for the facts, with words you don't go far, if they do what Amd has done or rather, they all gain!

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

I think you're onto something here.

NVIDIA is the type of company that will go down in flames before changing anything, in their eyes they're winning, why change?.
      It might be that they're too comfortable where they are in the PC segment. NVIDIA is huge in the PC gaming segment as well and their main competition there is still Polaris.

If OpenCL gains critical mass and Polaris gets replaced then their current strategy falls flat. Those two things might well prompt NVIDIA to change a bit, the question is if it goes beyond appearances.

Comment

I would write a letter to Santa to ask for better multi-threading support in nouveau

Comment

A result of sugarcoating developers notably smaller one with their framework and driver using non standard codes, bad practice and hacks.
          Preventing competitors to get acces to their source framework allowing optimization and intentionally crippling their competitors hardware was the last straw.
          No wonder Nvidia is one of despised companies to work.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            It'll be cool if they let themselves become a viable competitor to AMD.
            huh?! You seem to be very very confused, unless you're talking specifically about "for [my] money" and nobody else in the world.

> For the time being, NVIDIA is just

Literally the *only* option at the high end. The overwhelming market leader. 19 of the 20 most-used cards today.

Can you explain your comment please? Without context it's too divorced from reality to make any sense...

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

huh?! You seem to be very very confused, unless you're talking specifically about "for [my] money" and nobody else in the world.

Literally the *only* option at the high end. The overwhelming market leader. 19 of the 20 most-used cards today.

Can you explain your comment please? Without context it's too divorced from reality to make any sense...
              except you forgot to say "on Windows"... not to mention that Intel is still by far the biggest gpu market share by far, even on Windows....

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

There is actually an alternative, I just don't use laptops for work if I need much GPU. It ends up not such a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by johannesburgel View Post

NVIDIA drivers support OpenCL 2.0 and Vulkan Compute just fine. There is not really any reason to bother with CUDA anymore. darktable has OpenCL support and it worked just fine on on my GTX 950.
                  If memory serves that is openCl transmorgified to run on the Cuda stack is it not? In which case a new open source driver would have no openCl with out Cuda. I might be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    It has. It can't work with full performance, see the article itself.
                    no, it has not. closed firmware is only an issue for latest generations, older ones don't suffer from it. still they can't compete with nvidia because nvidia has to write driver, nouveau has to reverse-engineer driver and write driver. and nouveau devs aren't on nvidia payroll, so maybe they have other jobs to do in addition.
                    if you are excited about amd open driver performance, keep in mind that it is written mostly by amd employees and with full access to documentation(yes, even radv)
                    Last edited by pal666; 07 December 2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I would imagine the fact intel is releasing their own discrete gpu solutions possibly next year has had something to do with this potential change of heart regarding nouveau. It would be 2 major discrete GPU providers having fully opensource drivers against 1, and this matters in cloud computing, and cloud gaming. Stadia runs on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X