NVIDIA Looks To Have Some Sort Of Open-Source Driver Announcement For 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    nouveau has no blob barriers, it has "no documentation and no manpower" barriers
    It has. It can't work with full performance, see the article itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

They could use Google's negative latency technology
      Wait what? Did they just go faster than light?!

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
        No Cuda, no way.
        is CUDA only used for workstation professional work? its not a gaming thing from what I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          In March? Why not let the world know now? Are they worried this top secret information will be used by their competitors against them to gain an edge? haha XD
          I think they’re worried about the code quality of what they have. Their current binary driver is a conglomeration of hacks, and I know of at least one big sketchy optimization trick they do. Releasing that somehow as open source would be embarrassing. But writing a generic, agnostic driver from scratch could never match that speed, so people would complain and become skeptical. It’s a damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don’t situation.

Comment

Originally posted by bearoso View Post
            I think they’re worried about the code quality of what they have. Their current binary driver is a conglomeration of hacks, and I know of at least one big sketchy optimization trick they do. Releasing that somehow as open source would be embarrassing. But writing a generic, agnostic driver from scratch could never match that speed, so people would complain and become skeptical. It’s a damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don’t situation.
            Too bad for them, because everyone knows they are cheating, so their "faster" is not a free thing, it comes at lowering quality.

Comment

It's a matter of survival for them going forward.
              I havn't even looked at nvidia cards or cared about their benchmarks for years now because i'm a linux user and AMD cares.

Also them pushing closed solutions like cuda and gsync is a problem imo. We need open standards that work for all hardware.
              That's the point of opencl and freesync. Stick to the hardware, that's what your supposed to do, and fall back on industry standards and open efforts for as much of the software as you can.
              Last edited by Soul_keeper; 06 December 2019, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Statements are being made here that have no basis in realit. NVIDIA can't open source their binary blob due to partnerships with a large number companies that don't want their tech opensourced. AMD and Intel had the same issue, that is why both companies had to rebuild their driver stack from scatch.

Comment

It's amazing how Nvidia gets celebrated for (probably) just going back to square one.
                  I mean it's not like we've seen anything substantially good on the open source front EVER from them.

Either they open-sourced projects that where initially meant to get their next vendor lock ins
                  but failed badly in that regard or they were pressured by their OEMs (Tegra).

I won't hold my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    It's amazing how Nvidia gets celebrated for (probably) just going back to square one.
                    I mean it's not like we've seen anything substantially good on the open source front EVER from them.

Either they open-sourced projects that where initially meant to get their next vendor lock ins
                    but failed badly in that regard or they were pressured by their OEMs (Tegra).

I won't hold my breath.
                    Yeah, and also it's worth remembering nv.....

No 3d acceleration, severely obfuscated.... Even if this next attempt at OSS does acceleration, i think we can still expect severe obfuscation

EDIT: What i mean by this is, precedence is what precedence is....
                    Last edited by duby229; 06 December 2019, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Wait what? Did they just go faster than light?!
                      So fast they went back in time.

Comment

Working...
                      X