No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Looks To Have Some Sort Of Open-Source Driver Announcement For 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I plan on buying AMD hardware moving forward, It would be nice to see the Nouveau driver actually be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Nvidia is not going to open source anything that could help AMD. Having a proper Nvidia kernel driver in mainline Linux probably won't help AMD, Nvidia open sourcing all their tricks would.
      I mean competition between Nouveau and the blob. Cheating with shaders is not counted as comparison, so those cases can be ignored.

Comment

"We're bringing to open source our patented communication initiation protocol targeted to wide area receivers..."

Interviewer: You mean, "Hello, world!"?

"We cannot comment further without an NDA."

Comment

If they follow that route for a few years and show that they really mean it, then maybe they'll become a viable buying option again ^^

Comment

Everyone here is talking like there is a choice among high end laptops that is non-NVIDIA. I would love to get off the zombie NVIDIA train but there's no viable AMD replacement for me. So this is possibly good news for me and my metabox (clevo) laptop purchases.

Comment

It'll be cool if they let themselves become a viable competitor to AMD. For the time being, NVIDIA is just an annoyance faced by anyone in the market for a high end laptop. Unfortunately, the nicest AMD GPU laptops right now are macs, and they are riddled with all sorts of gotchas and undocumented nonstandard hardware, and might soon not even boot user-supplied operating systems of any sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
                Everyone here is talking like there is a choice among high end laptops that is non-NVIDIA.
                Look up the Ryzen Microsoft Surface models. They usually have decent specs and linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  did hell freeze over? somehow I really doubt it. I'd bet real money whatever the announcement is won't have any profound impact and the status quo will be much the same
                  Maybe you're right...

Originally posted by NVIDIA
                  Primary Topic: Supercomputing
                  Topics: Frameworks (DL and non-DL) / Libraries / Runtimes, Supercomputing

Comment

Would be cool to see BSDs other than FreeBSD be well supported by a major graphics vendor. AMDGPU has landed in OpenBSD and NetBSD but lags behind current Linux support so recent model cards aren't supported. After doing research on NetBSD 9 it seems that even Intel integrated graphics are only supported through Kabby Lake. No Ice Lake support yet.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      did hell freeze over? somehow I really doubt it. I'd bet real money whatever the announcement is won't have any profound impact and the status quo will be much the same
                      For desktop usage, you are likely correct. nVidia is interested in maintaining their lead in the datacenter, where the real revenue is, and where Linux is used with OpenCL, ML (AI), SYCL, and maybe oneAPI workloads (the Linux desktop market is not even a blip on the revenue stream). So I would suggest those hoping for something substantial for the desktop should temper their fantasies.

Comment

Working...
                      X